Oil & Fuel YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart #1  

SailorBob

Gold Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
I was box blading my driveway it lost power and won’t restart. It has fuel. I bled the fuel line using Hoyes instructions. Still no go. There appears to be a good flow of fuel to the injector pump. I did replace the fuel filter a couple of weeks ago. I probably put about 5 hours on it since. When I try to start it it get puffs of white smoke. It acts like is trying to start. I also took the air breather off and see no blockages there. Any ideas where to go from here?

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart #2  
Was the tractor overheating or any other symptoms like excess smoke? Did the engine stop quickly (like something seized) or just slowly started dying (like running out of fuel)?

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart
It was not over heated. I always keep an eye on the temp gauge. It started slowing down and died. It sounded like fuel starvation. I had been running it for about 30 minutes. It has me stumped. Could it be the injection pump?

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart #4  
Re: YM1700 - Lost power won稚 restart

I would crack the injection lines at the injectors and see if you are getting flow there. Put throttle in wide open position.

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart #5  
Re: YM1700 - Lost power won稚 restart

.... It sounded like fuel starvation. I had been running it for about 30 minutes. It has me stumped. Could it be the injection pump?
Or fuel contamination, or an air bubble, or ....

My point and suggestion is to hope and look for the simple causes first - back to the basics: clean and air-free fuel throughout the system - fully flush and bleed from tank to injectors (don't stop at the pump); yes, even if you think there's no reason for any of those problems - take the relatively easy steps to verify and prove it before expending effort, worry and money on worse-case possibilities.

IMHO

edit - yes, winston1 got it first!

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart
I think that you guys are right. The reason I changed the fuel filter is because it was slowing down. The fuel filter was stopped up up with reddish gunk which I assume is algae. I should have done it then. The tractor sits a lot. Maybe 10 hours a month. It takes a while to use a tank full of fuel. It is so hot in the summer here that I just don’t use it very much. That is a good plan. I will also replace the fuel lines because they are hard not getting flexible. Looks like the weather will cool down after Hurricane Michael goes through and I will be able to work on it.

Does anyone know the proper size is?

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart #7  
I think I used 1/4 inch fuel line on mine

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart #9  
I think that you guys are right. The reason I changed the fuel filter is because it was slowing down. The fuel filter was stopped up up with reddish gunk which I assume is algae. I should have done it then. The tractor sits a lot. Maybe 10 hours a month. It takes a while to use a tank full of fuel. It is so hot in the summer here that I just don’t use it very much. That is a good plan. I will also replace the fuel lines because they are hard not getting flexible. Looks like the weather will cool down after Hurricane Michael goes through and I will be able to work on it.

Does anyone know the proper size is?
That should not matter. You are using yours a whole lot more than i use mine!! I put 20 hours(by the meter) or so on mine a YEAR!! That might only be a few tanks of fuel a year. But in this case i have fuel in mine that i added mid summer.

/ YM1700 - Lost power won’t restart #10  
Are you using a Biodiesel blend? Curious to know since I've heard storage of Biodiesel can be a problem. Here in Minnesota they now mandate 20% Biodiesel in the summer and I won't be starting mine again until next spring. I had no problems last year at 10% but the change to 20% has me worried.