Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #61  
So, I dropped one of my vehicles off at the dealership for an appointment around noon. Some guy pulled up in a new Rivian truck for a charge. I hadn’t seen a Rivian up close so I went over to take a look and he was more than happy to show me around the vehicle. It was nice…perhaps better executed than a Tesla and he was a super nice guy. I left soon after. I returned at around 4 to pick up my vehicle. He was still there charging….sorry, I refuse to do that.

Mike
I have a nephew who owns a Tesla. He charges at home overnight and doesn’t wait around for a charge.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #62  
That's just the thing. EV cars are not really progress. They hinder progress toward better alternatives. Hydrogen Fuel Cells are already superior technology, but are ignored because the masses do not understand what they are. Hybrids are a much better interim option as they expand fossil fuel use while we develop real lasting sol. They also do not require a large expenditure of resources on infrastructure. This is especially true because the scientists already know that we cannot do EV in the long term. Nevertheless, we will spend trillions to use them for 30 years or less.
So true. Hybrids were really the ultimate way to give those who worship at the altar of Al Gore something as more research and better ways are developed. I also see this as a multi-trillion dollar boondoggle. It will be forced on us for decades, using the guinea pig method until one day it finally works.

Still doesn’t solve greenhouse gasses one bit since hydrocarbon emitting power plants recharge the cars.

Trillions wasted to transfer the hydrocarbons from millions of tailpipes to thousands of power plant exhaust stacks.

Sign me up!!! :)

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #63  
There is more to it that just the technology though. Public adoption is a significant factor, and for the most part, the Hydrogen still comes from natural gas, so is still a fossil fuel. On that basis, while *arguably* a superior technology, it does not adequately meet the goals of the buyers.

I disagree that it hinder progress. I think EVs have brought widespread interest and understanding, whereas Hydrogen fuelling is often still seen as Doc from back to the future stuff.

I personally think hybrids are a slightly-better-than-nothing-half-attempt. Charging infrastructure requires very little investment compared to Hydrogen (the power lines are all already there, just need the stations adding).

EVs are FAR better suited to a significant amount of trips by a significant number of people - but not all. If you live within 100 miles of work and commute (rather than drive all day in a work truck say), then an EV will likely work for you. If you do the school run and grocery shopping then head home - perfect!

I'd be interested in a reference for "scientists already know that we cannot do EV in the long term", i haven't heard that.
Problem is, the power lines are woefully inadequate and the power running through them to all the EV charging stations is in the form of a hydrocarbon based power supply.

Nobody has solved the “what if there’s a mile long traffic jam and EV’s start to go dead scenario”? How are they accessed and “jump started”?

Last edited:
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #64  
The boys over at Youtube's Fast Lane Truck flew into Detroit from Colorado to pick up their new Ford F150 Lighting and have chronicled their travel from Michigan back home. What is most interesting is the sea of issues recharging the vehicle on the way home and is worth the watch to get a feel of real-world recharging issues.

This is one in the series of videos, this illustrates their first day on the road.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #65  
If the idea of “green” vehicles is so important in todays climate, then why not create new jobs building an infrastructure for handling them FIRST, then build the vehicles?

Isn’t all this the ultimate demonstration of “the cart before the horse”?

We all know the seizure of taxpayer dollars is required for this mandate, so lets at least get some Americans sitting with no jobs some training and get them to work building the infrastructure?

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #66  
I’ve got 1600 miles on mine. I guess it’s technically a hybrid because it has no throttle, if you don’t pedal it doesn’t move.
A9AEE3E5-4A46-4961-818A-0845A5860069.jpeg

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #67  
The boys over at Youtube's Fast Lane Truck flew into Detroit from Colorado to pick up their new Ford F150 Lighting and have chronicled their travel from Michigan back home. What is most interesting is the sea of issues recharging the vehicle on the way home and is worth the watch to get a feel of real-world recharging issues.

This is one in the series of videos, this illustrates their first day on the road.
Enjoyed the video and found it interesting where rubber meets the road.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #68  
Nothing wrong with it if handled correctly. And would help farmers.
My point was that many here find that ethanol creates as many problems as it solves.
So, I dropped one of my vehicles off at the dealership for an appointment around noon. Some guy pulled up in a new Rivian truck for a charge. I hadn’t seen a Rivian up close so I went over to take a look and he was more than happy to show me around the vehicle. It was nice…perhaps better executed than a Tesla and he was a super nice guy. I left soon after. I returned at around 4 to pick up my vehicle. He was still there charging….sorry, I refuse to do that.
Don't know if they look better in real life than in photos, but man the front end is SO dorky looking. I'd pass on it for that reason alone.
If the idea of “green” vehicles is so important in todays climate, then why not create new jobs building an infrastructure for handling them FIRST, then build the vehicles?

Isn’t all this the ultimate demonstration of “the cart before the horse”?
Like most of your anti-EV posts, that makes no sense. Why would anyone build charging stations, etc. for vehicles before they exist? I wasn't around then, but I don't imagine there was a gas station on every corner when the Model T was introduced either. Seems to me that you're the one advocating putting the cart before the horse.
As demand increases, assuming it does businesses will do what they need to do to accommodate.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #69  
My point was that many here find that ethanol creates as many problems as it solves.

Don't know if they look better in real life than in photos, but man the front end is SO dorky looking. I'd pass on it for that reason alone.

Like most of your anti-EV posts, that makes no sense. Why would anyone build charging stations, etc. for vehicles before they exist? I wasn't around then, but I don't imagine there was a gas station on every corner when the Model T was introduced either. Seems to me that you're the one advocating putting the cart before the horse.
As demand increases, assuming it does businesses will do what they need to do to accommodate.

I guess the “what came first the chicken or the egg” can be argued all day.

If you comprehended my post properly, you’d see my points were:

1. if we are trying to put Americans to work and get people out of poverty, those could be valuable new jobs to go along with your “green new deal“ fantasy. That way the infrastructure would be in place.

and more importantly,

2. Since EV’s are mandated then wouldnt it reason that the infrastructure HAS to be put in place? So where’s the risk of an EV infrastructure if states like CA are mandating EV’s (more states WILL follow) and big auto is cancelling ICE vehicles?

Anyone can see we are being forced into EVs, so whats the point of acting like the trillions of dollars of infrastucture wont be needed to support them???

Last edited:
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #70  
I have a nephew who owns a Tesla. He charges at home overnight and doesn’t wait around for a charge.
He was traveling. I guess he should just buy multiple homes everywhere he drives and he would no longer have to use public charging stations. Just a thought.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.