Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling.

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #1  

Buggs67

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti 2014 CK2510 TLB
I have a second floor deck where the bottom is sheeted with steel siding to make a roof over the patio under the deck. I have used several cans of yellow jacket spray on the nest from above but they are still there and very active.

Any ideas how to kill this nest? I got stung 4 times in about 3 seconds.

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #2  
The only way I know is to call a professional bee exterminator; that's what I've had to do.

It may be a lot bigger than you think.

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #3  
I go after them at dawn or dusk, when they are quieter. If you can find the entrance, I have had good success with baby powder in a turkey baster.

If you can't identify where the nest is, then as @seville009 suggests, I think it is time for a professional.

All the best,

Peter

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #5  
Maybe I was unlucky or maybe they were attracted to my flashlight, but I got stung by a wasp putting something back in the shed this week after dark using a flashlight. I was in the shed during daylight hours and didn't have a problem.

You might putting out one of the wasp lure killers to reduce their numbers.

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #6  
I have a second floor deck where the bottom is sheeted with steel siding to make a roof over the patio under the deck. I have used several cans of yellow jacket spray on the nest from above but they are still there and very active.

Any ideas how to kill this nest? I got stung 4 times in about 3 seconds.
Buggs67,

Based on you can see the nest, I would be using diesel fuel and a 1 gallon pesticide pump up spray bottle. Diesel fuel doesn't evaporate well and it is light enough that it travels well into and along surface of the paper of the yellow jackets nest.

I had a white faced hornet nest behind and in between the hydraulic hoses and valve control panel of the backhoe on my M59. I could only see a few inches of the side of the nest, which I later found to be size of a basketball. On a very dark night, I put a quart of diesel in the pump up bottle, pumped it up as much as possible, adjusted spray tip for a pencil thin stream and sprayed into the side of the nest. The stream ended up boring a hole into the interior. A day or two later the diesel soaked all throughout the nest killing everything. Did the same thing with a soccer ball sized yellow jacket nest inside of the eave of my garage ( behind the soffit). Also dead after two days.

There are insecticides that can be used but I don't know if you can get the commercial grades in PA and they take a few days to week to kill a nest.

Good luck.

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #7  
I have a second floor deck where the bottom is sheeted with steel siding to make a roof over the patio under the deck.

Based on you can see the nest, I would be using diesel fuel and a 1 gallon pesticide pump up spray bottle. Diesel fuel doesn't evaporate well and it is light enough that it travels well into and along surface of the paper of the yellow jackets nest.
Are you gonna buy him a new house after it burns down?

C'mon people. THINK about what you're suggesting when posting here.

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #8  
Are you gonna buy him a new house after it burns down?

C'mon people. THINK about what you're suggesting when posting here.
Diggin It,
Why is the house going to burn down?
What do you think is the primary constituent in most bee sprays? Light oil, some version of pyrethrin for near instant knock down, and propellant.

Please see attached. Light oil is roughly 99% of the spray.

Attachments

• 1659142187424.png
    1659142187424.png
    198.6 KB · Views: 92
   / Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #9  
Demand CS

/ Yellow Jackets under deck enclosed by ceiling. #10  
Call me crazy, but...

I have "removed at least a 'half dozen hornet/ yellow jacket/ ground wasp/ white face pest habitations (many involving dangerous stings)

With a shop vacuum.

Set the hose nozzle adjacent to the entrance /exit pathway, turn on the vacuum, and walk away for an hour or two.
It's hard on the vacuum motor, running so long, but the population reduction dooms the nest. Literally thousands of the buggers get splatted on the canister inlet baffle. The "queen starves" and that's the end..

Don't use a home cleaning vac, the bags provide a soft landing for the insects. Hell to discard ;-)

Watching, It is hard to get the buggers as they depart, they sense the wind and blast off anyway. But on the return, hovering as they come home. S U C K... gone at the speed of sound!

;-)

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

Sany SY50 MP Hydraulic Thumb (A33113)
Sany SY50 MP...
2018 PAVEMASTER 314 TOW TYPE PAVER, S/N 2314722, HOUR METER READS 00237 HRS (A34808)
2018 PAVEMASTER...
3PT 5' BRUSH HOG, 540 PTO (A34808)
3PT 5' BRUSH HOG...
2021 Gravley 152 Pro-Turn Mower (A33113)
2021 Gravley 152...
2022 John Deere RD45F Draper (A33028)
2022 John Deere...
JOHN DEERE E000B 12' GRAIN DRILL , S/N 064081M (A34808)
JOHN DEERE E000B...