Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan?

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #181  
Hahaha...sorry bub, but call something what it is and avoid confusion. Just because you are not the only one who is wrong does not make you less wrong. Names mean things. Learn the right names. We all grew up with regional colloquial terms. The wise ones know when to use them and when to use the correct terms.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #182  
Yup learn sumpin' new ever' day
To day I learnt that ground bees are not yellow jackets but are ruthless lone assassins from the Manchurian region of China, and they are planning to conquer the cosmos and take over the world one solitary bee at a time.
So I have resolved to spread Cobalt 60 Dust on the earth everywhere I go to save the planet from his horrid scourge.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #183  
My wife met me with a spray can of Raid and murdered several hundred bees. Then used a broom to rake them off my pants
If that happens, try DEET. I hit a nest with about 40 or so of 'em on it in the early stages of construction while the egg sacks were still exposed. I sprayed Deep Woods Off on 'em and they all took off and didn't come back.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #184  
If that happens, try DEET. I hit a nest with about 40 or so of 'em on it in the early stages of construction while the egg sacks were still exposed. I sprayed Deep Woods Off on 'em and they all took off and didn't come back.
Whatever works. DEET however is a repellent and does not kill the rascals. Raid and most of the insect sprays kill them. Of course it is not practical to go after a whole massive nest with a can of Raid. Gasoline works best for me.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #185  
DEET however is a repellent and does not kill the rascals.
Well if they are all over me, I'd reach for the DEET. I've seen it work and it was immediate. I was shocked.
Next time I find a nest I plan on hosing the entrance down with the stuff to see what transpires.

Them thar suckers can fly fast for short distances 30-MPH Is what I've found

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #186  
The nice thing about having a bee suit is you can cause havoc, just by walking through a Mall.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #187  
I think I posted this earlier but it may be worth repeating. An effective way to destroy a ground nest is to simply wait until evening and then pour 5 gallons of boiling water down the hole and put a rock over the hole. It's cheep, eco friendly, and very effective.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #188  
I think I posted this earlier but it may be worth repeating. An effective way to destroy a ground nest is to simply wait until evening and then pour 5 gallons of boiling water down the hole and put a rock over the hole. It's cheep, eco friendly, and very effective.
That's a new one I had not heard before. Good idea and probably would work well. However many of the ones I have been victim of are not in places where I could get to with 5 gal of boiling water. My cup of gasoline and a match works everywhere. Just gotta be cautious on the approach.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #189  
2020 Had 30” oak tree fall across the driveway. Just looking at it, large hummingbird size hornets would chase you away. Called a tree service guy to remove. $1,000+ once I got ride of the hornets. Called exterminator to look, $300. Have to wear a special puffy bee suit because their stingers are so long. Be two days. Finally tech showed up but without bee suit. Tried but hornets chased him off! He Called his boss and said another day.

That night my wife in honeybee suit and me with fastest sneakers crept up on either side with a gallon gasoline in the cover of darkness and doused the area. Mixed up and sprayed 15 gallons insecticide with 12v sprayer at night and morning. 100’s of dead hornets. Able to clear the tree ourselves. The nest was scabbed on side of truck about 30’ off the ground. European hornets are an evasive pest. Formidable big bug. First time seeing these.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #190  
Cab tractor...been there done that with open station in TX. Heat, dust, bugs, stinging bugs...never again.