Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan?

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #1  

HawkinsHollow

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3015R
What is your plan of attack? Shut tractor down and run? Downshift and pop the clutch?

I got my first experience of running over a yellow jackets nest while bush hogging. I was in a super low gear so I shut the tractor down and ran. Probably got nailed 8 or 9 times. I was able to wait for 1`0 minutes and was able to get on and drive away without another sting. I am just wondering what everyone else does in these situations. It is not fun, that is for sure.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #3  
Had this experience on an open station tractor. Jumped off but forgot to take tractor out of gear. I got stung many times trying to catch up with the tractor only to see it ending up in a ravine

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan?
Had this experience on an open station tractor. Jumped off but forgot to take tractor out of gear. I got stung many times trying to catch up with the tractor only to see it ending up in a ravine
Yeah, that is the scary thing. I made sure I shut mine down, but I did so at 2000 rpms with the PTO engaged. Probably not good for it, but better than ending up in a ravine, or my pond where mine was pointed.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #5  
I had this happen on my zero turn one time
I launched off of the machine (seat switch shut it down) and ran full speed back to the house... got stung a few times and after I got inside I had one in my shirt!

Ahh good times! :ROFLMAO:

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #6  
On the old mf 203 tractor shutting engine off involves pulling out a rod connected to the fuel pump and it takes time for the engine to quit. Not good to wait around for that and stepping on the clutch and taking out of gear also takes a moment

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #7  
What is your plan of attack? Shut tractor down and run? Downshift and pop the clutch?

I got my first experience of running over a yellow jackets nest while bush hogging. I was in a super low gear so I shut the tractor down and ran. Probably got nailed 8 or 9 times. I was able to wait for 1`0 minutes and was able to get on and drive away without another sting. I am just wondering what everyone else does in these situations. It is not fun, that is for sure.
Once ran into one when I had the Gravely with its bush hog out front. I ran away with it sitting there running. When they simmered down some, I went and rescued it. Hate them. If clothed, they'll sting through your clothing.

Seem to be getting a fair number of them this year. Been wet and easy for them to dig their holes. A skunk dug one out in the raspberry patch. Huge hole. Took me more than 5 gallons of mulch to refill the hole.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #8  
geared down, popped clutch & fled. (open station) repeatedly stung on face. wife (at the time) said she never would have dated me looking like that.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #9  
Brake cleaner, the kind with chlorines in it if you can get it. It messes them up bad enough, and fast enough, tha they come out of the air like you tied a brick on their little tails. the vapors are toxic enough to them, they just curl up.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #10  
I rented a smallish bulldozer to start my home construction, and on day two, hit a big underground nest. I knew I had to shut the machine down, so, the buggers got me 14 or so times, before I could run away. Retrieved the dozer later that night, but I was still dizzy from that much venom. I would not consider it crazy, to wear a bee suit if you are going to do a first cut.

I also, now ask guests on the property if they are bee string allergic and if they are, do they have an EpiPen kit. One guest, told me, after we had walked 1/4 mile in to a field filled with waist high flowers and bees, that she was highly allergic and didn't have a kit. .

Last edited: