Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan?

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #11  
On the old mf 203 tractor shutting engine off involves pulling out a rod connected to the fuel pump and it takes time for the engine to quit. Not good to wait around for that and stepping on the clutch and taking out of gear also takes a moment

In a pinch, pull the rod, pop the clutch with it in high gear, stalling it might be fastest.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #12  
If you didn't notice them just hope for the best...take wide birth next trip back.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #13  
I've just been thinking (hoping) that if I went over some while bushogging, I should try to keep moving on the tractor. I know I could run faster, but on the open tractor, if I keep moving, maybe they won't know to swarm my body before I get 20 or 30 more feet away.

(God, I hope I'm right.) Knocking on the wood desk right now.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #14  
Tried to stop the tractor and bail out but I was on a hill and I was too much of a panic to get the darn brake set! Oh, did I mention a 2 foot drop-off just below me?

I finally(!) got the brake set and bailed out. ten or 12 stings. Went back and retrieved the tractor a few hours later, resumed bushhogging a safe distance away.......WRONG! Got hit again!

I did not bushhog that hillside for the next 8 or 10 years!

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #16  
It’s best to just wait a little bit longer for your last mowing. They die off in cooler weather plus it’s more pleasant mowing conditions.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #17  
i got a nest one time with my old JD870. i jumped off and ran after killing key. was stung multiple times. now days i just laugh at them...thru the cab glass.

/ Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #19  
I don't have yellow jackets, wasps or hornets that are ground dwelling. They ALL make their nests on the low hanging limbs of my pine trees. Or in the eves of my house.

In theory - I see and avoid. This theory has malfunctioned a couple times. The most memorable was a small nest of bald faced hornets. Chased me all the way back to the house. I even heard a couple bang into the door - after I closed it. Nasty little critters........

I can expect to get stung, at least, a couple times every year.

If I had the ground dwelling type and I had to mow fields - - a VERY GOOD reason to have a cabbed tractor. Some of my fields are more than a quarter mile from any type of shelter.

Last edited:
   / Yellow Jacket Nests While Bush hogging, whats your plan? #20  
Just speed up and keep moving. Bull dozers go fast enough to drive away. Tractor should too. Y'all gonna get hurt jumping off a running machine. Hornets is a different story, but they build nests where you can see them.