Yardman garden tractor question?

/ Yardman garden tractor question? #1  

JD TRACTOR MAN

Tractor
CRAFTSMAN 1998,1991 Yardman,John Deere many other various makes and models I'm a collector
I have a yard man garden tractor 1992. Never had a problem with it before but just recently I went to start it and the positive terminal was getting really hot almost melting the insulation. Does anyone know what could suddenly cause this to happen? Also does anyone know of any garden tractor salvage places that carry parts for older garden tractors. I live in northeast Pennsylvania.

/ Yardman garden tractor question? #2  
If the battery terminal only gets hot like that during an engine cranking event my guess would be excess starter draw. The starter is drawing too many amps for wiring when cranking. Depending on what brand of engine a starter should be easy to source for it. Should be numbers on old starter. If the starter is really warm or hot after cranking that's a sign it's drawing a lot of juice to turn engine over.

/ Yardman garden tractor question? #3  
Welcome aboard! Before you replace anything, try taking the terminals apart and cleaning them well. Cleaning in this case is using something mechanical and not some miracle spray. Use a wire brush or fine sandpaper. Then coat the mating surfaces with an antioxidant paste such as Nalox, Penetrox, CU/AL Aid, etc. Also make sure the connections are tight.

If there's corrosion or looseness at connections it can easily cause heat there.

My #3 Son has a Yardman that came along with the house he bought about 10 years ago. It was "rode hard and put away wet" by the previous owner and it's still going strong.

/ Yardman garden tractor question? #4  
^^^^ What Chim said

If the entire wire is hot that is a sign of very high amperage. If the heat is in one area it is a sign of high resistance at that point. If at a terminal it could be just loose and dirty like Chim said but when you take off the terminal to clean it check that the last few inches of the cable under the insulation are not corroded - usually crusty greenish and brittle. If it is replace the cable.

gg

/ Yardman garden tractor question? #5  
Good advice above. When reconnecting battery tightness is critical. If you can move the connector by pulling the wire or manipulating the connector it's not tight. I like to add a star washer between the connector and terminal for extra bite.

/ Yardman garden tractor question?
If the battery terminal only gets hot like that during an engine cranking event my guess would be excess starter draw. The starter is drawing too many amps for wiring when cranking. Depending on what brand of engine a starter should be easy to source for it. Should be numbers on old starter. If the starter is really warm or hot after cranking that's a sign it's drawing a lot of juice to turn engine over.
Thank you

/ Yardman garden tractor question?
Welcome aboard! Before you replace anything, try taking the terminals apart and cleaning them well. Cleaning in this case is using something mechanical and not some miracle spray. Use a wire brush or fine sandpaper. Then coat the mating surfaces with an antioxidant paste such as Nalox, Penetrox, CU/AL Aid, etc. Also make sure the connections are tight.

If there's corrosion or looseness at connections it can easily cause heat there.

My #3 Son has a Yardman that came along with the house he bought about 10 years ago. It was "rode hard and put away wet" by the previous owner and it's still going str
Thanks Chim, for your advise, this yard man I have was built in 1991 and never gave me any problems up Until now. I really love this little tractor and I will get her up and running again. I restored her and she don't look her age. I would like to get another older yardman garden tractor but they seem here in Northern PA. Hard to come by.