Yanmar SA Mods

/ Yanmar SA Mods #1  

sa324owner

Tractor
Yanmar SA324, JD 4400, JD ZTrak 997
I bought my SA324 back in April and I've been scouring the Internet ever since looking for modifications to make. I wanted to share what I've done so far and I'd like to see what other people have done as well.

20180721_154131.jpg20180721_155232.jpg20180721_160635.jpg
Fabricated 2 Inch receiver in place of original drawbar. Most accessories I already have for my truck fit a 2" receiver so this was far more useful to me. Used a cargo carrier I fabricated for my wife's old car to carry a large cooler. We would fill the cooler full of water for watering plants around the yard.

20180810_132936.jpg20180810_132941.jpg20181001_202448.jpg
T-slot aluminum for ROPS-mounted lights. T-slot aluminum for versatile mounting for shovels/rakes/gas trimmer, etc. Wiring for lights is fully integrated into the main wiring harness at uses fused accessory circuit. Switch fits perfectly in pre-existing hole.

20181001_202352.jpg
Obligatory steering knob.

20181001_202426.jpg
Cross drawbar from TSC. I drilled out the two outer holes to fit some shackles. Seems to work well for general purpose stuff, including pulling small trees with the 3-point.

20181001_202226.jpg20181001_202312.jpg
Last, and certainly not least, a lever in place of the brake pedal-actuated differential lock. In my opinion, this (or something like it) is how the tractor should have come equipped originally. The lever gives a MUCH improved positive feedback on whether or not the differential lock is engaged. As an added bonus, the lever will engage the lock if moved forward OR backward. The 3-point sliding lock can also be used to lock the new lever in the locked position if need be. I rebent the 3-point height control lever so the handle grip angles inboard so the two levers do not interfere with one another. The lever is currently unfinished. I will likely 3D print a handle grip similar to what's already on the machine. Since the brake pedal no longer does double-duty, I took all the slack out of the braking mechanism. The brake now operates as you'd hope/expect.

Now... show me what you've come up with!

Last edited:
   / Yanmar SA Mods
I don't think the plants would like beer all that much. ;)

Seriously though, the cooler was the only thing I already had that could be used to shuttle around almost 40 gallons of water around easily. It also had a male hose fitting on the drain, so that came in handy. Next year I might strip the 50 gallon tank from our old water heater (that I hoarded) to use as a portable tank. That would likely get put in the bucket on its side.

/ Yanmar SA Mods
Forgot this...
20180721_105613.jpg
I ordered Security Chain Company QG2226 chains from Amazon Warehouse for $35. I actually received QG3229CAM chains. Fearing I would get a refund instead of the right chains, I tried them anyway. They are a touch shorter than what I ordered, but Peerless (the manufacturer) looked at pictures I sent of fitment and they OKed the application. I can't say whether they perform in snow/ice (I suspect they will), but the price was certainly right. The cam lock feature on the QG3229 chains is pretty slick. The QG2226 requires separate tensioners, which might have been a hassle and would have been an additional cost. I believe either of the chains I mentioned fit the rear 12-16.5NHS tires on the SA324 just fine.

/ Yanmar SA Mods #6  
I love your Diff Lock handle! I might have to do something like it soon!
I think besides the Steering Nob, the only mod I did was front and rear lights, everything else has been implements and a Skid steer to Yanmar quick attach. But I think I need to get a backhoe Thumb very soon!

/ Yanmar SA Mods
I love your Diff Lock handle! I might have to do something like it soon!
I think besides the Steering Nob, the only mod I did was front and rear lights, everything else has been implements and a Skid steer to Yanmar quick attach. But I think I need to get a backhoe Thumb very soon!

I was originally going to do something different... think along the lines of a cable-drive throttle adjustment on a mower. I rigged that up to see if it would work, but I couldn't get enough leverage to engage the differential lock. The internal spring was too strong.

Honestly, it was dumb luck that the lever ended up perfectly at the midway point of the 3-point scale. I clamped the bar stock in the bench vise and started bending. I've used it a few more times since the post and it works great!

/ Yanmar SA Mods #8  
With the ROPS folded down, I bolted a 12" x 2" to 1.25" receiver tube to the folding bracket.
This makes it easier to climb up onto the machine without pulling on the steering wheel and it looks like OEM.

The hole near the bottom could also be used as a mount for a work-light.
Or 1 of them on each side could be mounted facing upward as a base for a canopy frame.
Cost =$11 each from Harbor Freight.

/ Yanmar SA Mods

Since we moved, I tend to keep the ROPS down due to overhead clearance, but swing it up fairly often to use the worklights I have installed on the bar. I like the idea of using the existing hole for accessories.

You bring up a great point that I never thought much about - using the steering wheel as a handle to get on the machine. I do that all the time, but have never really felt like it was a great idea to be pulling on it like that. I might run with your idea a bit and add a grab handle on each side of the ROPS.