Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts

/ Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #1  

dfkrug

Tractor
05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe, XN08 mini-X
A bunch of these have landed in the 'hood here. 2020 Yamaha UMAX. 48V SLA battery-powered, 2WD with differential and dumpable cargo box. Super-quiet.

Anyone have one of these? The new ones offer lithium batteries, but at a 50% premium.

Attachments

• UMAX_2020_1.jpg
    UMAX_2020_1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 131
   / Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #2  
As long as they don't have 4wd, it's still too much golf cart for me.

/ Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #3  
Thats a golf cart. I guess the utv manufacturers are going to go the same way the automobile mfgs went. It used to be you had distinct vehicles: Pickup trucks, passenger cars, vans, real sport utilities, buses, etc. They took the sport utility, combined it with a mini van, ditched passenger cars and made pickup trucks into family haulers. Going down the highway, all you see now are mini vans and family haulers. They all look the same. All are super over priced. The blending of vehicle types needs to stop.

/ Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts
Just as golf carts morphed into side-by-side utility vehicles by adding a cargo bed and higher suspension, UTVs morphed into dune buggies by eliminating the cargo box and making the suspension even higher.

/ Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #5  
That sure looks and reads much like my '97 EZGo golf cart with a bed. Or a better likeness, the EZGo WorkHorse. Not that there's anything 'wrong' with the Yamaha you pictured, but by definition I would more likely call it a golf cart. You can sure label it right after driving it out in the woods or towing something.

I certainly like the differential feature! And I especially like the quiet feature of electrical powered carts. For power and ruggedness, the SxS is hard to beat. But for convenience, golf carts are hard to beat. That Yamaha you pictured might just fit both worlds.

/ Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #6  
Thats a golf cart. I guess the utv manufacturers are going to go the same way the automobile mfgs went. It used to be you had distinct vehicles: Pickup trucks, passenger cars, vans, real sport utilities, buses, etc. They took the sport utility, combined it with a mini van, ditched passenger cars and made pickup trucks into family haulers. Going down the highway, all you see now are mini vans and family haulers. They all look the same. All are super over priced. The blending of vehicle types needs to stop.
In the immortal words of Neal Stephenson:
"Bimbo Boxes" and "Burb Beaters"

/ Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #7  
I have 2 golf carts AND a very long 6' bed EV Turfman. It has 4 whl brakes, headlights, directional signals, horn, mirrors, backup alarm, battery level, phone charger, and a very heavy duty suspension than can easily support 1000 lb logs, tools, etc. Compartment rails fold down for very large cargo. It has the 48v lithium battery pack. Goes 20 mph and much longer range that my EZ-Go 48v lead acid cart. No complaints. No need for a UTV, ATV, MFT, BVD, BBF, or MLF. This does it all for me. I recommend getting knobby tires for the rear because the traction control system stops the cart if a tire momentarily slips. What's REALLY handy is the auto brake. When you stop the brakes lock automatically. With the key off, it keeps my dog from pressing the pedal and going for a joy ride right into my truck. This cart is 1/2 the weight of the other carts because of the lightweight battery. I also had a Yamaha gas cart fraught with fuel, electrical, mechanical, cargo capacity and cold weather issues. I gave it away. I still have a lifted 36V golf cart. Slow, hard to get out of with bad hips & knees, can't pull a trailer, but it IS 'pretty'. I don't recommend a lift kit for use on side hills. Some kids down the road flipped one after making a U-Turn and a few got hurt.

Attachments

• turfman.JPG
    turfman.JPG
    175.4 KB · Views: 41
   / Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts
That sure looks and reads much like my '97 EZGo golf cart with a bed. Or a better likeness, the EZGo WorkHorse.
Yeah, all of the leading golf cart makers sell a cart with dump bed, AFAIK: ClubCar, EZGo, Yamaha, etc. You just rarely see them. Even GEM had one, but it was front wheel drive, which made it unusable on slopes with any load.

The new lithium batteries are great, but very spendy. I wonder when all these makers will add 4x4 and lockable diff as options?

Like these utility carts, you rarely see the really serious utility UTVs, like the Pro Gator and Toro Workman. Kubota RTVs? Yes.

/ Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #9  
Like these utility carts, you rarely see the really serious utility UTVs, like the Pro Gator and Toro Workman. Kubota RTVs? Yes.
Love my "serious" UTV -I use it almost daily

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-120530.png
    Screenshot_20231219-120530.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20231219-120733.png
    Screenshot_20231219-120733.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20231219-120700.png
    Screenshot_20231219-120700.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 53
  • Screenshot_20231219-120618.png
    Screenshot_20231219-120618.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
   / Yamaha UMAX: blurring the line between UTVs and golf carts #10  
Yeah, all of the leading golf cart makers sell a cart with dump bed, AFAIK: ClubCar, EZGo, Yamaha, etc. You just rarely see them. Even GEM had one, but it was front wheel drive, which made it unusable on slopes with any load.

The new lithium batteries are great, but very spendy. I wonder when all these makers will add 4x4 and lockable diff as options?

I agree. I just upgraded my old Gator 855d to a RTV X1100C. I looked at other units, but most were geared at going 55mph and jumping sand dunes. I still needed a diesel, but wanted a real cab with heat & air. John Deere wanted almost 15k more for their diesel model. They lost a lifelong customer.