XU or MT5

/ XU or MT5 #1  

bsekf

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 7030, Long Landtrac 4700
Since I can't fine a decent used 65-75hp 4wd, I am testing the waters. Tell me why a MT5 73hp is better than a XU 68hp? I prefer an open station, but not impressed with the 16.9x24 rears on the XU 68 hp tractor. They call the XU a "Utility" tractor, but is it really a "compact"? From the pictures, it looks like they have different front axels and the MT5 is built heavier duty. Are the engines and transmissions the same?

Bill

Last edited:
   / XU or MT5 #2  
After looking at the specs of both tractors, there is no contest. The MT573CPS would win it hands down.

Disclaimer: I have never seen one of these two tractors in person, ever. I am simply looking at the specs on both tractor data and ls usa.

The MT573CPS compared to the XU6168CPS things I looked at:
Engine: they both have the same engine: The LS L4C25-T with different HP ratings, probably due to different turbo sizes and/or ECU programing.
The MT5 has more gears: F20-R20 vs F16-R16
The MT5 has much better hydraulics than the XU: 19.8gpm vs 14.5 which directly translates into better lifting capacities
The MT5 has 6,614bls of lifting force at the 3-point vs 4,079lbs for the XU.
The MT5 also boasts a slightly larger tire size 16.9 – 30 vs 16.9 – 24 for the XU
And lastly the MT5 is over a thousand pounds heavier than the XU. This is likely because its physically larger, slightly, than the the XU. I prefer a heavier tractor over a lighter one.

This is not to say that the XU is not a capable tractor. But if I was shopping for this size with these features, the MT5 is where I'd put my money, if money was no object. Of course, I'd do much more research and attempt to find these tractors for a test drive before buying.

/ XU or MT5
Judging from the replies (1), I don't believe there are many of these sized tractors out there. Seems the bulk of the LS tractors are 25-30 hp.

/ XU or MT5 #4  
I have a 6168 CPS. They didn’t have the MT series tractors when I bought it 4 years ago otherwise I would have probably bought the MT.

My tractor has been great and has done everything I have asked of it with no issues.

At the time the 6168 was the biggest machine LS offered with a backhoe and I needed the backhoe. Can you get a backhoe on the MT?

/ XU or MT5 #5  
I bought my MT573 in 2017; it probably had not been on the market long. The size, HP, and standard features for the $$$ were what caught my attention. My experience with this machine has been very good with only a couple of minor problems that wer repaired under warranty. I use this tractor primarily with an eight foot twin-spindle Hardee rotary mower and grapple, the third function feature was included as standard equipment. In summary, I love this tractor!