Comparison X300 X304 vs X320 and x324

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #11  
I've got a X300R with about 60 hrs on it now during the past 2 years. No problems, whatsoever.

I use it to mow my 1.5 acre horse pastures and my yard. 'Course I've got the front mounted thatcher and a 175lb fertilizer-broadcast spreader and I use it to tow a 45 gallon weed sprayer, too!! So, when I use that tractor; it gets a good workout!

I've had concerns about the weak transmission... but, I'll do the rebuild when/if the time comes.

It does a great job mowing and the direct blower/rear bagger makes the side blower machines seem pretty "wimpy" by comparison; i.e. plugging.

IMO - if Deere would put a K58 tranny in the X300R - if would be their "sales leader" in the lawn tractor lineup!

AKfish

AKfish,
I think the problem could be the chute design wont fit past the larger transmissions. I too like the 300R collection design wish it would work on the larger mowers.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #12  
The incentive just went up to $500. Also you can join NTRA go baby go membership and after 90 days get an additional $200 off couipon.

Just bought the 300R. I am so impressed with the operation of the mower, the turning radius and the rear bagging. You don't have to get off the mower to dump it. Also it holds so much more than a traditional bagger of the same size. I highly recommend this mower.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #13  
Bought an X300R for my 1 acre yard. Has 170 hours on it and JD says my transaxle is shot. A new transaxel is $800 plus labor. Rebuild is $400 plus more labor than replacement since they have to open it up. I stepped up to buy this unit because the salesman said it was a 2000 hour unit whereas the big box stores models were 400 hour units. What a buch of crap on this X300. Salesman no longer works there. John Deere says "sorry" nothing they will do...out of warranty. I am in negotiations with the dealer. I wouldn't buy an X300. I am now learning about the weak K46 tranny. I was mislead on my purchase. To all of you who have the X300 get rid of it. My example with only 170 hours on it is why.

Pedalcrazy

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #14  
The x310 and up have the upgraded rear end (k58). II went through the same thing with the K46 on my previous mower, but I had only 82 hours on it. I figured it was best to get rid of it while it was still under warranty. After owning both, there is a world of difference in the torque the two units provide. K58 so far is rock solid

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #15  
...Models below this use a K46 which joesn't hold up well and is the same as the 100 series...

This is not an altogether true statement. The T40 transmission is used in the D110 through D140 while the D160 & D170 use the K46 - which as we know is also used in the X300, X300R and X304 machines.

I literally have over 100 X300's and X304's sold and out in the field since their debut in 2006 - and the vast majority of them have held up just fine - the issues seem to come with hilly terrain and especially hilly terrain with bagging/towing.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #16  
We're pretty good on this forum helping people spend more money than they intended, but the suggestion about the X500 is a good one, IMO. They do not cost that much more but are significantly upgraded v. any of the 300 series. That said, have you looked at the 360? I bought one for my dad a while back. It is a lawn tractor, meaning it cannot really do much of anything but mow and pull a little trailer. It is too light and has an open differential so snow removal, if applicable, would likely be frustrating. I does mow, really well. The power steering and hydraulic lift are awesome features in this sized machine. It was clearly the top of the 300 line when we made our purchase. Hope they are still being sold, it has been a while since I checked or have seen one in stock.

John M

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #17  
This is not an altogether true statement. The T40 transmission is used in the D110 through D140 while the D160 & D170 use the K46 - which as we know is also used in the X300, X300R and X304 machines.

I literally have over 100 X300's and X304's sold and out in the field since their debut in 2006 - and the vast majority of them have held up just fine - the issues seem to come with hilly terrain and especially hilly terrain with bagging/towing.

Do you feel lucky? I don't.
About the D100 series I should note this model came out after the post I made.

My L130 with the k46 has never had to work hard as I have had multiple tractors and a tlb since I have had it. Now if pulling a 125lb spin spreader is too much to expect then I rest my case. My lawn area is flat and smooth for the most part.

I have about 275 hours on the L130 and it is parked until I have time to rebuild the transmission. This means that for now I will have to remove/install the mower deck on the x749 more frequently until this thing is fixed.

Last edited:
   / X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #18  
In response to bleed greens post, I am sure there are a lot of x300, 300r and 304's out there that have never had an issue, however, I know there are alot that have. I think the problems stems from what the customers are not told when they buy the tractor. I for example was not told I could not use my 22 hp new John Deere la165 to pull a cart with weight on it or cut a terrian that had a grade / slope to it. Instead what I was told by the JD dealer is that this lawn tractor will be able to handle anything a traditional home owner can give it. 82 hours later I traded it for an x310 because the trans had failed. I think it's great that the dealers support their products, but it would be helpful if they made accurate recommendations based on customer feedback for use of the machine, not just attempting to get the sale closed and monies collected. Don't get me wrong I am a huge John Deere products fan and will continue to purchase Green and Yellow.