Comparison X300 X304 vs X320 and x324

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #1  

theschack

I've narrowed my search down to the above tractors. I believe all would do the job I have of about 1.2-2 acres of bermuda grass with a few trees, obstacles. I would like the better powered one, but it seems that the bagger on the larger models requires the power flow bagger which adds almost 1200 to the price where as the bagger for the lower models is half as much. Is the power flow really worth it? Can anyone tell me if either system is better than the other or mulching is adequate.

I am not even sure I would use the bagger over mulching most of the time.

Currently JD had $300 off any of these mowers and $200 off any attachemnt over $400. So a good time to buy.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #2  
There are a couple of things you should know before you buy a new mower. First thing is the transmissions, the ones that have been considered durable and less problematic use the K58, this is used on the X320 and up. Models below this use a K46 which joesn't hold up well and is the same as the 100 series. Lots of reading on this site to document the problems and issues with these lesser trannies and in some form these are used on lots of different brands of riding mowers. I would start my search for a mower with the X320 and up.

About the bagging, the X300R is a rear bagger with a large rear chute and blower built in and allows trimming on either side. Seems like a great mower with one exception which is the lesser K46 transmission.

What I would like to offer as a suggestion to meet your requirements doesn't currently exist,:(:( which would be an X320R a mower with the rear blower and bagger in a 48" cut with the better K58 transmission. If this was an option I would have bought one last year. Such as it is my recommendation would be to consider the X320 or X324 without a bagger in this price range. If you can go up in price there are other models to consider but are much more expensive.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324
Thanks. I am leaning toward the 320 or 324 without the bagger. Just seems like a lot for a lawnmower, but if it lasts 2-3 times longer certainly would be worth it in the long run. Probably just add a spreader.

I put this question in lawn and garden as I didn't see that thread initially.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #4  
As far as longevity of the transmission I have an L130, 23hp Kohler twin with the 48" deck that has 220 hrs on it. I will have to rebuild the tranny before I sell it to a friend this month. I am replacing it with an X749 if all goes well. I would be ticked if I had purchased a 300R and had these tranny problems.

Lots of us on TBN have had similar issues, do a search and you will see.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #5  
Make what you want - have the dealer order an X320 "less deck" and then have him order a 42" deck. All the decks are interchangeable, so no big deal.

I will say, though, if you are cutting 2 acres you'll probably want the larger decks. Easiest would be an X320/X324 with a 48" deck and mulch kit. The kits work really well for grass and leaves. I don't bag anymore - mulching all the way.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #6  
I actually own a X300R and have about 250hrs on it. I too heard all the stories in ref to the trans. I can tell you that I have had no issues yet. I just starting cutting a 5 acre lot with slight hills and dips and it handles that just fine. It takes about 6 hrs but as far as the cutting goes it cuts it with no problems. I can power through it at full speed and the cut is perfect. The blower really puts out, never had a clog and I run it through some thick stuff at speed. I am getting something larger for the 5 acres but it will definatley handle the 2 acres with no problems. Bagging: Without a doubt the best bagger I have ever used and the best part is you don't have to leave the seat to dump it. I'm kinda lazy so it's perfect for me.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #7  
Ok, So If you really want to do it right, Get the X500 w/48" deck. The K-72 tranny and with the discounts you are in the $4800 range which is not much more than the X324. Better Tranny, Heavier Frame, 25Hp mower. You get a lot more machine for not much more dough. :thumbsup: I too was looking for a X3** series and ended up with a X500. I only have 3/4 acre so My wife thinks I am nuts. What else is new.:D:D:D

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #8  
If your property is pretty much flat, anyone of the 300 series would be a good choice. I have a larger lot with steep inclines, so I opted for the X540. Very happy with it, but wouldn't spend that much for a lawn tractor unless it had a PTO.

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #9  
I've got a X300R with about 60 hrs on it now during the past 2 years. No problems, whatsoever.

I use it to mow my 1.5 acre horse pastures and my yard. 'Course I've got the front mounted thatcher and a 175lb fertilizer-broadcast spreader and I use it to tow a 45 gallon weed sprayer, too!! So, when I use that tractor; it gets a good workout!

I've had concerns about the weak transmission... but, I'll do the rebuild when/if the time comes.

It does a great job mowing and the direct blower/rear bagger makes the side blower machines seem pretty "wimpy" by comparison; i.e. plugging.

IMO - if Deere would put a K58 tranny in the X300R - if would be their "sales leader" in the lawn tractor lineup!

AKfish

/ X300 X304 vs X320 and x324 #10  
Ok, So If you really want to do it right, Get the X500 w/48" deck. The K-72 tranny and with the discounts you are in the $4800 range which is not much more than the X324. Better Tranny, Heavier Frame, 25Hp mower. You get a lot more machine for not much more dough. :thumbsup: I too was looking for a X3** series and ended up with a X500. I only have 3/4 acre so My wife thinks I am nuts. What else is new.:D:D:D

I was looking at the 300 series a couple of years ago and found out about the difference in transmissions also. As I went up the chain on the 300 series...I too ended up looking at the x500 and found it to be more what I needed. I opted for the bigger 52 inch deck which it runs just fine through heavy grass. We have slopes etc on the property and glad that I got the 500 because it has a large orange knob on the left side that you can press with your foot when you need extra traction and engages both rear wheels. Very fine piece of machinery. We mow about 2.5 acres.