X-cord for welder

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / X-cord for welder #51  
If it were mine I'd wire it to handle anything I wanted to plug into it. Who wants to install a 240v circuit and not be able to use it?
This is faulty logic.

/ X-cord for welder #52  
So we 'go by the book' for 'utility' and/or possible varied use by one's heirs but it's called 'uneducated DIY' to prove there's another way? ok. But there's more than one way to stew a 'possum if you don't like muskrat. It's a thin line we walk when not being wrong can still cause someone to demean our best efforts for skipping what I feel is an unneeded 'life hack'. I'm hesitant to relate what gauge welding leads I prefer after this. :sneaky:

btw, Should I feel dumb for preferring 6-ply tires on my tractors when 4-plys would do? Wondering now why I put a Class IV hitch on my truck for Class II towing. And could I have bought a 1500 vs 2500 truck because guys less cautious than me push towing limits all the time with less? Sorry, I didn't.

Maybe I'll toss out all my electrical and welding books if I can learn more from forum posts and don't need 'em. :unsure:

/ X-cord for welder #53  
If it were mine I'd wire it to handle anything I wanted to plug into it. Who wants to install a 240v circuit and not be able to use it?
Then install circuit for you most heavily used equipment.... Welder will work just fine on that circuit although the electrical demands will be less for welder than using something like air compressor or big power hungry tools on that circuit....We had a philosophy in the telcom industry "if in doubt of conductor size, go bigger"..... In the end its the breaker that is really important issue.....

The real danger here is using conductor that is to small..... Like using a #12 when circuit minimally requires a #8...

/ X-cord for welder #54  
Then install circuit for you most heavily used equipment..
Not the most heavily used. The one with the largest current draw you expect to be able to use. It's just plain foolish to run a 240v circuit capable of powering any number less than 100% of those that might need to be used in that location.

/ X-cord for welder #55  
This is faulty logic.
Absolutely not. You aren't qualified to comment on any logic I use or decisions I make concerning my own property. If I own an item that draws 50 amps and there's a chance I might need it in a given location, running an inadequate circuit to that location is a stupid decision.

/ X-cord for welder
Oh my what happened here, looks like Sberry had a lot to get off his chest lol.

/ X-cord for welder #57  
I think this forum needs a licensed electrician as a moderator B4 somebody burns his shop or gets electrocuted.

Over time I've just seen too many fires related to faulty/DIY hookups.

Fuses & breakers MUST be the weak link in any circuit!

/ X-cord for welder
Yeh me personally, I don't know jack ish about electrical other than when running a circuit, size the wire to the breaker needed....coz you're quite possibly not gonna be the only one plugging stuff into that receptacle. KISS principle is the best way, in my humble opinionating.

/ X-cord for welder #59  
Yeh me personally, I don't know jack ish about electrical other than when running a circuit, size the wire to the breaker needed....coz you're quite possibly not gonna be the only one plugging stuff into that receptacle. KISS principle is the best way, in my humble opinionating.
There is nothing else to plug in to this that is not a cobble job.

/ X-cord for welder #60  
I cant recall ever buying a piece not a welder csne with 6 50. Its not motor rated above 3 hp, its not really a general recept.

Status
Not open for further replies.