Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod?

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
My father's Skidoo broke a tierod, and my borther took it to a friend who "knew how to get the broken off bolt out." I told him the way to do it was to mig a nut on, then turn the broken piece out, and even offered to have it done. Instead they drilled it out, inevitably bunging the threads up on the piece he was going to reuse. No problem, he just used JBWeld to put it back together. How many here would trust it at 50 mph out across an open field, especially if you accidently hit a rock?

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #2  
No way … Even a helicoil is bogus for critical pieces.

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #3  
Ummm.... NO....... If it's for steering I would bite the bullet and order new, or have it repaired by shop that is qualified.... Redneck repairs on steering is prelude to death...

Dale

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #4  
Aaah noooooo. In fact he!! NO!

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #5  
JB Weld is good for fixing holes in some plastics, I have some curing on a piece of fairing on my Goldwing motorcycle, but I wouldn't trust it for critical components or any thing that is exposed to freezing temps. JB Weld is very hard and brittle when cured and even in summer heat and I am sure it would be super brittle in the cold.

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #6  
Not JB Weld, but a Helicoil repair is stronger than original. For threads in aluminum for DoD work we used to use Threadserts from the git-go. The coil is made of hardened steel at least comparable to rolled threads in steel.

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #7  
Not JB Weld, but a Helicoil repair is stronger than original. For threads in aluminum for DoD work we used to use Threadserts from the git-go. The coil is made of hardened steel at least comparable to rolled threads in steel.

I think this is bad advice for this application. To use a Helicoil you have to drill the tube which thins the tube wall. The edge where the drill bit bottomed is now an edge where cracks could form and propagate. Same for the bottom 1 or 2 of the threads cut that extend beyond the coil.

I assume DoD is Dept of Defense. In this case, the use of Helicoil is an engineered application?

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod?
Ummm.... NO....... If it's for steering I would bite the bullet and order new, or have it repaired by shop that is qualified.... Redneck repairs on steering is prelude to death...

Dale

That was my thought, also. The funny thing is that I'm the one who always tended to gump things together, whereas he's always been more talented.

I believe that the part is difficult to find. My solution now that the damage is done would be to have a qualified welder mig the two pieces together. What scares me is that now that it's back together we probably will sell it to some unaware buyer.
That was kind of my thought, also.

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #9  
Boy, I can think of several other less-hacky fixes that wouldn't have been that much harder to do.

/ Would you trust JBWeld to repair threads on a snowmobile tierod? #10  
I am with most, repair would be, purchase New OEM, New Aftermarket, Good Used, and Finally make from top grade materials.