Would larger tires help?

/ Would larger tires help? #31  
How about add a set of duals on the rear and fluid fill all four rears? Lots and lots more traction, you can still use your current tires and if anything changes you can sell the duals and probably get most of your money back.

We ran duals a lot up in Kansas discing. They made a huge difference in what the tractors could pull.

/ Would larger tires help?
If the rear gangs are adjusted flat, they will just roll over the ground without smoothing, in my experience.
You can try......your conditions are different from mine.

No, you simply know what you are talking about and I don't...;)
Ok....more aggressive in front, say two notches out of three, and less aggressive in rear, say one notch out of three.
But for first pass, trying to cut through the field grass, I thought more aggressive angle would be good, short of stopping the tractor.

the suggestion about duals is a good one. If I were a "real" farmer, I'd consider it. But I'm not, just a retired guy trying to help his neighbor.
Instead of duals I need an M Kubota, not an L...but you run what you brung. I'm going to try lowering the air a little in the rear tires.
They want $750 for just the weight bar on the front and I'm gagging over that. But I can't keep doing wheelies, and losing control at the end of rows requiring backing up instead of making a nice turn. Can't turn when your front wheels are in the air....so I have weight issues front and rear.
Actually the front is more important, and safety related. The rears just mean I have to pick up the disc a little at times.

I started stick welding at age 67 two weeks ago. This week I'm learning to disc again. All good.
I'm ignorant but not stupid; all advice gratefully accepted.

/ Would larger tires help? #33  
Tires are matched to the HP of the tractor so I think I would stick with the size you have. Next to that I believe the right radial and some weight would solve any issues and yet stay within the capabilities of the tractor as designed. Bigger tires at resale time are a red flag to most buyers.

In the thread link mentioned, I like the Firestone "All Traction DT" radial because it has a deeper tread, much heavier weight than comperable radials and lots of rubber in the tread center for a tire that is easy over septic systems and blacktop. Plus I have 15 years experience with them on other tractors. You could trade yours in to lessen the blow. Don't buy the wrong radial if you want pulling power.

For weight, I only use cast in the rear and up front. Weights on; weight off (when needed) and no rotten rims. They all rot. Search my threads on this (and weights) for more plus I have posted pictures of rims with fluid that wasn't supposed to rot. Uh-oh.

That's my best answer with what you have. An equal or better choice is to swap up to a FWA tractor in same configuration and swap for radials all around. It's for fun anyway so why hold back? In fact, just buy another tractor and keep the old one. Who cares? We don't spend a lifetime fighting to the top of the food chain to practice self-denial at this point is my thinking and yes, I'm serious. :)

/ Would larger tires help? #34  
daugen, in post #23 the photo clearly shows your wheels are set to the narrowest track possible. The rims are 2 piece, so remove the tyres and flip the "dish" section so it faces hollow side out. This will give you more clearance between the tyre and mudguards.
Traction wise, what preassure are you running? Too hard and you will skid a lot.
Tip, try using diff lock on the straight runs to minimise skidding.

[I]We don't spend a lifetime fighting to the top of the food chain to practice self-denial at this point is my thinking and yes, I'm serious.
thanks.[/I]
I worked hard for forty years and saved for most of that. 30 plus years of IRA contributions. Now at my age without kids and a wife who died a few years ago, I have only my common sense to tell me to stop spending money. With the stock market being so high, I already spent the investment profit on this disc and the Massey itself. A third bigger tractor isn't in the budget. But I sure can dream...and I do look at the local Craigslist for bargains.

I have Goodyear DT185's, with a big blob of rubber in the pattern right in the middle, I'm sure to quiet the tire. I'd say it's about half way to an R1. Which likely makes it much kinder on the lawn.

I was hoping to slip out and get a little more disc'ing done but then saw the rain gauge and no way, 2 inches last night in those storms. Even in sandy soil, I need to let it dry out a little.

Redman, great idea on the rear wheels. My farmer neighbor keeps asking me how many inches between the center of my rear tires, I'm sure related to row width and his cultivators. I have no idea...but obviously can measure, and then there would be an optional wider setting, if I flip the wheels around. Which if I were ever to be getting new tires, I should do then...
Pretty sure if no clearance issues with shed or gates, why not go wider. Just like a Pontiac, Wide Track...
This disc is an 8 footer, plenty wide to cover wider tires. Probably only going to gain three or four inches each side?
BKT radials are 550 apiece, would look at that Firestone too.

I'd like a 6000 pound mfwd with radials, 80hp, 4000# FEL lift. .
Barn kept and low hours.
and as they say in the ads, ice cold a/c
For ten grand :confused3:
And what's on your list for Santa?

/ Would larger tires help? #36  
You do have excellent rear tires on the tractor now and if you just left everything as is, what's wrong with that? The task is bigger than the tractor so don't try to do it? I'm OK with that.

You do have excellent rear tires on the tractor now and if you just left everything as is, what's wrong with that? The task is bigger than the tractor so don't try to do it? I'm OK with that.

agree with you totally, thanks. I have a purely entry level farm tractor I agree I'm trying to use above its weight class.
And in my sandy soil, I can often get away with that. On a really hot day, I'd be swapping implements and doing this with the Kubota.
Same weight but the 4wd and weight up front offset the R4 tires. Plus the Kubota's tires while shorter are quite a bit wider.

In the Kubota I adjust the a/c vents and fast forward the song on the cd.
On the Massey, I pay attention to the grunt of the engine, whether I'm slowing down at all,
all the kinds of manual operation feedback one needs. The Massey sounds better than the Kubota,
like it's happy in the field and very eager to go. I did not envision doing field work so I installed the horizontal
muffler kit on the Massey. Muffler has a guard and it does fine with these weeds. I check to make sure vegetation isn't getting packed in there, have a little forest fire going on underneath me.

I really can't do much more until I get the front tires back on the ground. Feel like a galloping horse rearing up flailing its front legs...
and then slamming down the clutch after turning the wheel and nothing happening, and before I go into the other farmer's soy beans which aren't far away. Then back up and go around slowly. A lot of shifting for someone with really bad arthritis. The cruise control on the
Kubota for sure has its attractions.

So actually I was looking at the wrong end of the tractor for the highest priority, steering. Then I'll deal with traction, which is easier and cheaper. Filling those tires with something that won't rust my rims seems the first step.

Going to start another thread to see if anyone thinks I can adapt the Massey weights I just bought, which did not fit my existing bar as promised. I have to buy an all new bar for $750. No. Though I can insist the dealer send them back, losing a ton of freight money, I'm wondering if I can adapt something to hold 6 92 pound weights up front. I just learned how to stick weld, well, just barely...and at least this now seems conceivable I could come up with something by making it out of steel. Which I am accumulating a small supply of. Smarter idea is to design it and then take it down to the welding shop downtown. I have to believe they will come up with something for two or three hundred bucks, a huge savings over the oem bar. That will then take care of steering and I can get back to traction.

thank you all for the input. Just shows how you have to take care of the basics first. I did that with the Kubota
when I bought it, but getting the Massey second hand not too long ago, I'm still learning what it can do.
The modern day bigger sister of the MF135. A flashy hood on good old Indian iron.

/ Would larger tires help? #39  
I never saw the answer to the question "What is the tire pressure in both rear tires?" I have seen people put 60 PSI in rear tires when the suggested pressure is often less than 20.

My tractor has steering brakes. Press left brake and tractor turns left. Press right brake and tractor turns right. Of course you have to remove the brake tie strap to get the brakes to work independent. Maybe your tractor has that.

A good welding shop might come up with an idea for the front weights bracket.

I never saw the answer to the question "What is the tire pressure in both rear tires?" I have seen people put 60 PSI in rear tires when the suggested pressure is often less than 20.

My tractor has steering brakes. Press left brake and tractor turns left. Press right brake and tractor turns right. Of course you have to remove the brake tie strap to get the brakes to work independent. Maybe your tractor has that.

A good welding shop might come up with an idea for the front weights bracket.

Jim, all good ideas, thank you. For now, I can use the brakes to help. Frankly I had forgotten them. I throttle down at the end of the row.
Lift the rear smoothly until out, and then for a variety of reasons including a head row rut, the front end lifts up. Yes, I can drive it like a bulldozer.
I bet the brakes have hardly ever been used on this, time to rub the glaze off...
I did forget to check the air pressure today, thanks for reminding me. It started to rain and I was off welding a mower deck.