Would larger tires help?

/ Would larger tires help? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
With a new 1100 pound Land Pride DH25 disc harrow on order, coming in this Friday, I'm considering adding a little more tire to my Massey. I did this before with a small CIH Mitsubishi powered tractor and the larger rear tires worked out exceptionally well. I'm retired and just doing this for fun; helping a neighboring older farmer with his fields. Mostly sandy with some clay.
If you look at my tractor in this picture, this is a 50hp 4300 pound tractor that looks like it could use some more tire in the rear. I've ordered 600 pounds of weights for the front,
but those oem rear tires look like they were bought for lower cost versus highest traction. I never drive fast btw.
So...can I go up a size, say wider an inch and higher one inch, I eyeballed the tractor carefully, definitely have enough clearance.

The real question is, what will one inch get me? That's two inches more grip.
I'm sure something but is it worth it on a tractor with less than 200 hours on it? Meaning these tires are like new, but I'm trying to pull
a heavy disc and when I dragged it with this tractor last year granted in muddy condition, I had a heck of time with traction. My Kubota in 4wd just walked away with the disc, but less wet.
But I want to use this Massey to pull the new disc, it's a real "farm" tractor and tough as nails, Indian with a Perkins design engine.
But I think it's traction limited now.

I'm a tire guy, study Tirerack intensely, and have looked at the Michelin and other primo websites. My their tires are expensive...
but I don't need tires for the Autobahn.
I'd like this Massey set up for field work and woods work and the Kubota left for FEL, chipper and other implement uses.
The front triribs on the Massey are great, nice big tires, very comfortable ride on this tractor.

Last time I bought tires I bought BKT for the rears. Massive rugged tread, Indian tires, probably appropriate for this tractor too.
I'm not worried about the rear axle either, it's pretty big, bigger than the Kubota's...

Who has tried going bigger and has it helped? Hints?
Many thanks for all advice.

Attachments

• Masse 2615.JPG
    Masse 2615.JPG
    7.6 MB · Views: 282
   / Would larger tires help? #2  
There have been a couple good threads about radial tires, and the great traction they provide. As long as we're spending your money, I say trade in for radials. ;)

/ Would larger tires help?
thanks, absolutely spend my money, you're paying half right? ;)

the range of costs for these tires runs from about 500 dollars to 1500 apiece for Michelins. Pete's tire barn is helpful, lots of other places.
Euro radial conversion is interesting. If I spend 1200-1300 plus install for new tires, what I don't know is the level of improvement.
If I were going from worn tires, sure.

/ Would larger tires help? #4  
   / Would larger tires help? #5  
If you increase the rear, you need to do the same for the front, or else your 4wd will bind up. Maybe adding calcium or wheels weights would help more than another inch, as you're really not increasing traction by adding an inch other than the weight of the rubber.

If you increase the rear, you need to do the same for the front, or else your 4wd will bind up. Maybe adding calcium or wheels weights would help more than another inch, as you're really not increasing traction by adding an inch other than the weight of the rubber.

2wd tractor but I understand your point about tire loading.
The weight in front is to balance the tractor and maintain steering, not so much adding more weight to a drive axle.

In case you didn't see it, here's one of the recent threads about radials. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/382937-new-firestone-radials-m7040.html
You might post there asking for feedback too, since Sixdogs has had the new tires for a bit now. Your old tires are like new, so you should be able to recoup some money from those too. But I'll need half of that if I'm helping with the cost of the new tires. :D

It's the lower air pressure and construction of the tire sidewall that allows the tire to sit flatter to the ground for a greater footprint. That distributes weight over a bigger surface and puts more horsepower to the ground rather than just slipping away. The deeper lugs really make a difference if you have the HP to make use of them.

that was my understanding, getting a bigger footprint put more horsepower to the ground. The new radials in that thread look just like the BKT ones I previously bought for that smaller tractor and the tread pattern is substantially different than a traditional bar or chevron tread. So I think footprint and tread pattern have something to do with it, but clearly the more weight the merrier over the driven tire. So that's where rear weights might help. Certainly if I went up a size in tire, adding more weight to the rear would be almost required. Otherwise I've just added flotation I believe.

/ Would larger tires help? #8  
Are you existing rear tires LIQUID FILLED? Filling is the most cost effective method to increase tire traction.

Are cast iron, bolt-on rear wheel weights available for your tractor? That is the second most cost effective method to increase tire traction. You can sell wheel weights if you decide they are not necessary.

Most of your forward pulling power is provided by the large circumference rear wheels. That is why 2-WD (only) tractors are always rear wheel drive, never front wheel (only) drive.

Some (not I) have cautioned here that filling or weighting FRONT wheels/tires is tough on power steering, tough on 4-WD and tough on front axle if a loader is used.

((Or have you ordered rack weights for the front of the tractor, rather than the wheels?))

Last edited:
Are you existing tires LIQUID FILLED? That is the most cost effective method to increase tire traction.

Are cast iron, bolt-on wheel weights available for your tractor? That is the second most cost effective method to increase tire traction. You can sell wheel weights if you decide they are not necessary.

thanks. Good question, no. Am exploring rear wheel weights now. I have both on the Kubota, it was pretty light in the rear, or felt that way.
When I run the Kubota in high gear on the road I seem to get a lot of shimmy, darting around, tire pressure is ok, always wondered if that liquid filler was sloshing around
and creating imbalance. Massey was straight and true and stable as could be on the road.

/ Would larger tires help? #10  
If your existing tire is a 13.6-28;
a 14.9-28 isn't much upsizing,
a 16.9-28 is a good increase, then there is an 16.9-30 would be a nice increase,
then 18.4-30 which would be a major step up.
My IH 574 was original spec'ed to have a 14.9-28 and she currently rides on 18.4-30's
It has a bit more HP though.