Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601?

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #1  

Bob 123

Tractor
Kubota
I have 3 acres to mow, i use a 60" mid mount mower on my B2601 it takes me about a hour 20 min to mow the yard. I have been told a zero turn could cut that time in half is that true?

When i mow i do not back up i mow at a angle to reduce the wasted time backing up.

Thoughts?

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #2  
I have 3 acres to mow, i use a 60" mid mount mower on my B2601 it takes me about a hour 20 min to mow the yard. I have been told a zero turn could cut that time in half is that true?

When i mow i do not back up i mow at a angle to reduce the wasted time backing up.

Thoughts?
That's pretty quick for mowing with a B2601. I don't know how much faster the ZTR will be but I'm pretty sure it'll be a LOT faster than with a tractor. And the cut will be 10x better.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #3  

Thoughts?
ZTRs are specifically designed to mow lawn type terrain and will nearly always do so in considerably less time than will CUTs/SCUTs with MMMs.

They will also beat you to death if the terrain is rough.

SDT

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #4  
And the cut will be 10x better.
Can't say I agree with that. Depends on the deck.
I've owned zero turns, 3 point side and rear discharge mowers. My opinion the MMM I had on my old JD 850 ranked right up there with as good as if not better cut than any of them

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #5  
We like our 3pt mower. The reach under bushes, near the creek and some banks hard to do with other mowers. Also a smoother ride.

Last edited:
   / Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #6  
I do about three acres with my zero turn in about an hour. If the land was smoother, could do it in about 45 minutes. Have a Ferris diesel with suspension.

used to take me close to 3 hours with a 3 pt finish mower on the tractor.

both have (had) six foot mower decks.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #7  
You can't lump all zero turn mowers together!

Some are faster, ride better and cut better.

My front deck Grasshopper rides good over rough ground and is pretty fast... I much prefer it over the other mowers I've owned or used.

You just can't buy a cheapo zero turn and expect the same results.

SR

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #8  

Thoughts?
According to the productivity charts, you would be mowing at around 6.5 MPH to cover 3 acres in 80 minutes figuring a 10% overlap. That's fairly aggressive. A zero-turn shines at its ability to navigate, for example, around trees. A zero-turn can also make a 180-degree turn. If what you mow lends itself to what a zero-turn provides then the simple answer is yes.

I mow just over 4 acres and it takes me about 2 1/2 hours on a good day. Obstacles such as trees, the number of 180 turns that need to be made, and how fast the ground lets me travel all play into this.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #9  
IMHO, it depends on the size of the tractor and MMM (or RFM).
I mowed with a Deere 4400 and 72" RFM when we first bought the place in 2013. The lawn is 2½ acres ±. Although relatively flat and even though the RFM was a foot wider than the ZT deck, the ZT does the job a lot faster with minimal scalping

The 4400 is a CUT, but a pretty big CUT...a smaller tractor with a lower CoG would probably been faster

Last edited:
   / Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601?
My yard is rough so you can't go but so fast.

I've been looking at the Kubota Z400 models since they come with 60" decks.