Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601?

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #11  
Decent zero turns cut 9 acres
In an hour. Tractors can't hang with that.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #13  
There are various charts that compute how many acres per hour can be mowed given a specific cutting width and ground speed. This is one example.

The difficulty in calculating the efficiency of a ZTR vs a normal mower is in determining the effective ground speed of the ZTR because the ZTR is much more efficient at navigating obstacles.

If you put a ZTR and a normal mower in an open field, the mowing time should be relatively the same if they both have the same cutting width and ground speed.

But if you have a rough yard and can't go fast, and on top of that have a bunch of obstacles, then a ZTR is going to be faster.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #15  
My yard is rough so you can't go but so fast.

I've been looking at the Kubota Z400 models since they come with 60" decks.
Yes a ZT with the same size 60" deck will mow your lawn a little faster. Also get stuck much easier. Also rotten on rough or steep ground. Mowing yours in 1.5 hrs is quite good really. Unlikely worth a big investment to improve on it.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #16  
The problem with those mow charts is that is under perfect/ideal conditions.
Example, my Huster Super Z zero turn is 35HP with 72" deck.
Top mow speed is 14 mph. They claim that mower with a similar chart can mow 8.14 acres per hour.
If you can mow 14 mph without ever slowing for any turns, without ever slowing for trees, buildings or bumps. Full speed 14 mph flat out for 1 hours/ perfect conditions I suppose its possible.
Now throw in trees to mow around, bumpy areas, driveways, buildings, Etc. the best I've been able to do with that mower mowing as fast as I can on our property is 4 acres per hour or a bit under.
My average on the same property with the tractor and an 84" rear finish mower is around 2 1/2 acres per hour.

Last edited:
   / Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #17  
Balloney. Unless that ZT has a 12 ft deck or greater...

No, I'm fine with a 6' deck and a 34 hp kawasaki and you can bring a 15' bat wing and learn something.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #18  
In a normal residential yard say of .5 to 1 acre with trees, flower beds, sidewalks, odd spaces, a ZTR will have better mowing efficiency than a riding mower of the same cutting deck size and ground speed. There's just less overlap and backing and turning to cut all the grass.

On 3 acres, one has to ask what terrain is involved. If it's essentially an open field, the efficiency differences are much less if we are talking about the same cutting deck size and ground speed.

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #19  
What ones can do that for under 30K + in less than perfect conditions
Maybe a soccer field in perfect weather 72” deck with new blades and the wind at your back lol

/ Would a zero turn be faster than a B2601? #20  
It took me roughly 2 1/2 hours to mow around 3 acres on my property on my B2601 w/ 60” MMM.

With my Cub Cadet PRO Z 560S KW ZTR, I mow the same area in 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

The ZTR is faster, safer and more comfortable on my hilly property.

Mike