Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?
Flatheadyoungin - Quite inclined - with tools and shop - not going anywhere as I'm about the only person who has access to it right now (that changes in a week) - come on Flatheadyoungin - aren't we always "in the market"? :)
On that last point - I certainly could use a larger tractor for the property and hobby farm I have... but was NOT in the market, actively searching right now... I'm honestly trying to determine if this is one of those "too good to pass up deals" or if it's a "good deal - but there will be others"

jinman - Yeah - "cautious" is the operative word here... I recognize it's a 10 year old tractor... and don't want to discount that in the value...

Last edited:
   / Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #12  
Look it over.. any chance it is a 10yr old tractor with light use, and a new dash with 5 hours on it?

as for age.. well.. I think they generally get along better with a little use on them. ie.. keeps moisture flashed off.. new fluids.. keeps seals from getitng hard.. etc.. however that said.. I pull lots of non running antiques out of sheds that have sat for years and bring them back to life.. ( some easier than others ). just pulled my 1954 NAA out of mothballs.. have had it setting in my barn for almost 7ys now... besides a touch of stuck clutch and bad battery.. it was in pretty much the same condition as i parked it..

good luck

soundguy

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #13  
grandpa had an old farmall f20 setting in the field......when i was in my teens, i asked him will it run......he said, "well, it ran 50 years ago....." being a young boy, i thought to myself.....that old heap is useless....

the next day i went up to hang out with him, like i did every day during summers off, long story short, he took me out in the field and started it up....

every now and again, we'll walk past it and he'll say, (he dates everything and journals everything) well, she hasn't run in 15 years, do you think she'll start!?:eek::D

Look it over.. any chance it is a 10yr old tractor with light use, and a new dash with 5 hours on it?

as for age.. well.. I think they generally get along better with a little use on them. ie.. keeps moisture flashed off.. new fluids.. keeps seals from getitng hard.. etc.. however that said.. I pull lots of non running antiques out of sheds that have sat for years and bring them back to life.. ( some easier than others ). just pulled my 1954 NAA out of mothballs.. have had it setting in my barn for almost 7ys now... besides a touch of stuck clutch and bad battery.. it was in pretty much the same condition as i parked it..

good luck

soundguy

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #14  
I'd say buy before it goes on the open market if the price is right. Sounds like you know your way around machines so you could always flip it. After all who finds a 10 year old tractor with 5 hours on it. Pretty unheard of.

MarkV

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #15  
No don't Buy I! I"m running all the way their RIGHT NOW! LOL!
I'de love a deal like that one.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #16  
Good questions - here's some answers.

Purchased by an older guy - who fell ill shortly after buying it. He took the time to fabricate a very solid mounting block to the front on which there is a winch mounted and wired in.

This tractor has been not only indoors - but climate controlled indoors for it's life. Tires are ag - and still have that rubber webbing between the ridges down the middle of the tires.
It does have a loader.

The hours are true- no doubt about that. And as I said - there is no doubt this is 5 original hours on a tractor that has never really seen service.

Private party - the older guy who purchased it before falling ill passed away and the tractor is now part of the estate.

The average retail price (what dealers get on resale) ranges from $11.1K for the 4WD model to $12.5K for the 4WD/hydrostatic tranny model, not including the FEL. It has a 4cyl Shibaura diesel with 33-35 pto hp. Add $3-4K for a never-used FEL. So $14-16K is what it's worth from a dealer. You may be able to shave quite a bit off that number in an estate sale if you jump on this deal.

I'd go for it. Just make sure it runs OK (no blue smoke), no water in the engine oil or hydraulic fluid, no major leaks, FEL and 3pt hitch work OK.

@Soundguy - I'm pretty comfortable it's not a 10 year old with a 10 day old dash... but have not put my eys on it (my FIL has - and he REALLY knows his tracotrs and machines)
@MarkV - I was thinking that too - worsta case is it isn't what I want - and on the open "really for sale" or even eBay world - I get AT LEAST what I paid for it... And I can certainly cull the lesster of implements between those it comes with and those I have - and craigslist those I don't need.
@laen64 - Laughed out loud I did!
@flusher - OK - you got my attention... Is that official tractor blue book values on this machine?

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #18  
One of the best buys I ever made on a tractor was a 3000 diesel (Ford) I bought in 1988. It was a 1974 model. It had 2 hours on it. Owner dies of a heart attack while dealer was unloading it in his driveway. It sat in a garage for 14 years until his widow passed away. I bought it at the estate sale. Paid $1700. Did a quick clean-up/oil change, stuck new battery in it, and re-sold it in less than 1 week for $4800.

The buyer still has it. (BIL ;) ) It's been a VERY good tractor.

I sure wouldn't shy away from the deal you're looking at.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #19  
One of the best buys I ever made on a tractor was a 3000 diesel (Ford) I bought in 1988. It was a 1974 model. It had 2 hours on it. Owner dies of a heart attack while dealer was unloading it in his driveway. It sat in a garage for 14 years until his widow passed away. I bought it at the estate sale. Paid $1700. Did a quick clean-up/oil change, stuck new battery in it, and re-sold it in less than 1 week for $4800.

The buyer still has it. (BIL ;) ) It's been a VERY good tractor.

I sure wouldn't shy away from the deal you're looking at.

Now that's a sweet deal!

My 1955 660 had 500 original hours when I got it, and it was from the son of the original owner.. not sure what they used it for.. but it had very little wear on anything... has turned out to be a great tractor... but I didn't get it as cheap as you got that 3000.

Speaking of deals.. there's a early 70's 2000 down the road from me for 3000$.. ( here, 2000's gor for a tad les sthan 3000's.. but still close money even for the economy model .. usually 4500$ or so for a 3 cyl like that in my parts..)looks cherry though not refinished.. runs and starts good.. charges too.. no major problems I can find.. even has a good condition/working holley carb ( amazing ).. if it sets there till the end of the year.. i may have to buy it at that money... my project this year was a 541 I got for good money too.. not sure if I can sneak another 'project' by the wife this early though... ;)

soundguy

Alright - y'all have convinced me to give her a go - so I'll keep you posted as the weekend unfolds... because at some point I'll get int to see the ride, start it, and drive it for a bit.... then look for leaks.
Who knows...