Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #1  

fishpick

Platinum Member
Tractor
L4760 & BX24
Looking for opinions - would a 2000 model year tractor with 5 hours - that's now for sale - concern you?
I know when my truck sits for several weeks - and it's a 2003 - it's not as happy as if I drive it every day.
The tractor in question is a NH TC40D. The price is right... but am I concerned that by saving some scratch on this "deal" - I'll be paying through the nose for the typical things that shake out under warranty in the first 100 hours - as well as longer term - starting with a 10 year old tractor that sat... But I want to hear your thoughts.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #2  
What I would want to know is who owns a new tractor and puts less than an hour a year on it? Sounds a bit to good to be true.

MarkV

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #3  
Yes, I'd have allot of concerns about it. Why was it never used? Was is just sitting out in the elements for all those years? Water in the oil would be my first concern. Condensation would accumulate. Same thing with the hydraulic tank. Are the wires still intact? Rats love to eat them, or make nests in them. Tires might be cracked and rotten. Not sure how long they were exposed to the sun without moving, but I find it hard to believe that they even hold air, or were full of air if it sat for that long. A tire that has sat flat for a period of tire is probably wasted. Hoses and cylinders might be an issue. Cylinders need to stay wet to keep the seals for drying out and cracking. I'd expect problems with a loader if it has one. The hoses may need replacing. I have hoses older then that, but most have been replaced.

Then there is the obvious. Are the hours true? How do you know? Is there any sign of a new paint job? Do the tires still have the brand new nobs on them? What do the pedals look like? I read another poster mention the pedals. Allot of auction tractors get new paint jobs to look new, but most of the time, the rubber on the pedals are all worn out and they forgot to replace them. Look for scratches, dings and metal that's not flat or straight.

Who's selling it? private party or dealer? I'd sure want to hear the reason it's sat for so long.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?
Good questions - here's some answers.
Why was it never used?
Purchased by an older guy - who fell ill shortly after buying it. He took the time to fabricate a very solid mounting block to the front on which there is a winch mounted and wired in.
Was is just sitting out in the elements for all those years?
... Are the wires still intact? ...Tires might be cracked and rotten ...I'd expect problems with a loader if it has one.
This tractor has been not only indoors - but climate controlled indoors for it's life. Tires are ag - and still have that rubber webbing between the ridges down the middle of the tires.
It does have a loader.
Are the hours true? How do you know? Is there any sign of a new paint job? Do the tires still have the brand new nobs on them? What do the pedals look like?
The hours are true- no doubt about that. And as I said - there is no doubt this is 5 original hours on a tractor that has never really seen service.
Who's selling it? private party or dealer?
Private party - the older guy who purchased it before falling ill passed away and the tractor is now part of the estate.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #5  
Sounds like a fluid flush, hose change, new fluids, battery bargain.

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #6  
I'd buy it

Andy

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #7  
If the price is right, it sounds like one of those rare deals that we always dream about. I'd change the fluids and filters, grease it real good and hope for the best on the cylinders in the loader. If they leak or a hose fails, it's a simple repair, but I wouldn't do anything with them until they needed attention.

Good luck,
Eddie

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you?
Any concerns with flat spots developing on the cranks from sitting - what about concerns with wheel / axle / main seals?

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #9  
if you are the least bit mechanically inclined, just buy it.....before it's gone......AND if you were actually in the market for one...

/ Would a 2000 model year tractor w/ 5 hours scare you? #10  
In 2001, I bought a TC45D with 16LA loader and 1 remote hydraulic valve ($500) for $21,900. The TC40D is a year older and normally sold for almost $2000 less than a TC45D. Therefore, that tractor sold for about $19,500 when new including the loader. I'm not sure, but it sounds like around $8,000 to $10,000 worth of implements are included (at 2000 prices). You will have to consider that you are buying a "new" 10-yr old tractor. For resale, it's an okay deal, but for use it's a very good deal.

Get the tractor checked by a good NH dealer after you buy it, then use it and enjoy. There are plenty of us who will help you with the minor problems we all have experienced and you may discover. I think its a buy, but do it cautiously. It is a 10-yr old tractor. Don't forget that.