Working under the tractor

/ Working under the tractor #1  

frogpond

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25D
I have just finished another oil, transmission fluid and filters change, and transmission fluid strainer cleaning on my Kubota BX25D. And I have previously done several one-off jobs like relocating that damned fuel filter.

I hate to admit that I'm getting old enough to dislike scooching under there while wrenching, but there it is.
What do you use to raise the tractor enough for comfort, while making sure it's stable enough to be safe? I have a creeper, but this tractor is too low to use it.

I have a floor jack and jack stands, but I imagine it should be level to drain the fluids, and I don't think 4 jack stands feels very stable. I looked at 2-post hydraulic lifts, but they are expensive, and require serious installation, and I'm not sure they even fit a tractor. Digging a pit is out of the question; it would quickly become a pond.

Would 4 ramps from HF or an auto parts store be the answer? I imagine that the total weight with loader and backhoe is about 3k pounds.

/ Working under the tractor #2  
Mine, an Iseki 3160, is smaller than yours. I've only had it up high once and that was to fab and install the plow mounts on it. I ran the back up on my ramps and jacked up the front and used a couple of jack stands under it, worked great.
1701111811565.png

/ Working under the tractor #4  
I don’t have to jack up the tractor, but I do need to jack up my zero turn to change the oil. I jack it up and then set it down on several 6x6 (might be 8x8) blocks of wood that I keep handy. Very stable.

/ Working under the tractor #5  
I’ve done something like the pic above. You can also use the FEL to pick up the front end, put jackstands under the front axle and lower it carefully.

I have two creepers but rarely use them. I have a couple of pads that are about 4 feet long that I throw done and are much lower than a creeper.

/ Working under the tractor #6  
There is a mini 2 post lift called MaxJax. In theory it is movable, and you could set one post in a different place for a car vs the tractor.

However, I would carefully consider the lifting points on the tractor before buying the lift as the tractor may not have ordinary frame rails.

Your ramp idea should work. The capacity should be greater than the tractor weight, even with accessories on it.

There are a couple if brands of detachable ramps that might be of a benefit.

/ Working under the tractor
Sure, actually when I do need to jack up the tractor I use the loader and the backhoe stabilizers.
What do you mean by detachable ramps?

/ Working under the tractor #10  
Sure, actually when I do need to jack up the tractor I use the loader and the backhoe stabilizers.
What do you mean by detachable ramps?

_p_2_p23048.jpg

Once you drive up onto the ramp to the level part, then you can detach the slanted ramp portion giving you clear access to work around the tractor with hardly any more footprint than the actual tire.

It might make it easier to slide an oil pan in and out.