woos splitter wedge question

/ woos splitter wedge question
I would think that as soon as the vertical wedge cracks the log the horizontal wedge should start. Seems to me the vertical wedge should be skinny and the horizontal fat to achieve your purpose.Im thinking the bottom side of the horizontal should be flat parallel to the splitter I beam or things would jam up. Note on iron cutting shears the blade always is at an angle so it starts to shear at one end and continues to shear the rest like a sissors. if the cutting edge was flat it would take tons and tons of force and would make a big boom.

My vertical wedge is 3/4 thick. I will have to add some rails on the back, to keep it aligned with the backbone, which will act sort of as a spreader as the wood slides toward the back of the wedge. I agree with you on the horizonal wedge. I intend to only sharpen the top edge of the wedge so the bottom half of the log is not forced downward as the wood is split. My wedge is designed to float so nothing should bindup as the wood is split. O course, once I fire the splitter up, I will probably need to make a change or two here and there.