Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #11  
Yeah, I was almost afraid to question this (for fear of showing my own ignorance).

Shear bolts, if one uses the correct ones (soft) won't put up a lot of fight to remove (that's the entire point of them!). Pins/bolts that are meant to lock the hub on the gearbox shaft aren't meant to shear and are made of a harder grade of steel. The OP's target is putting up a fight that makes me believe it's not a shear bolt. The slip clutch issues are another matter (they're a pain).

EDIT: I looked up the OP's tractor. Specs are pretty close to my Kubota B7800. I have only had shear bolts on the bush hogs attached to my B7800: seems more the standard on smaller CUTs. PTO shaft for my Kioti's bush hog has a slip clutch (love-hate relationship).

Last edited:
   / Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #13  
My woods bb48x has both.
Documentation shows that it's an either or for these. Shows that shear bolts were only available on the 48 and 60, but it's not clear if those size cutters could come with slip clutches (see no reason why not). OP's situation needs clarification.

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck
Yup. It has both. Probably just for this reason. Problem solved itself. One good hidden stump and it failed completely.
IMG_2295.JPG

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #15  
Yup. It has both. Probably just for this reason. Problem solved itself. One good hidden stump and it failed completely. View attachment 701328
Well, it did it's job. It's better to shear the pin than to shear something inside the tractor.

We use this style of shear pin over here. It's very easy to see when the pin broke and to change it if it actually broke as you don't have to pull the PTO shaft off to take the middle part of the broken shear pin out.

HTB1hE3VLXXXXXaXapXXq6xXFXXXh.jpg_350x350.jpg

Last edited:
   / Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #16  
That's what struck me as funny. Both a shear bolt AND a slip clutch.
I suspect the.mower originally used the shear bolt alone and the slip clutch was added later.

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck
Nope. It came that way new but I think it was an option. I remember because it is the first completely new piece of equipment I ever bought.