Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #1  

Surgeon

Silver Member
Tractor
MF 1428
My son was mowing the pasture and hit something that made enough noise that he stopped to look. The cutter still ran but on inspection he found the slip cutch did not slip (or did not slip enough) and the shear bolt took a hit. It sheared off the end right where it comes through the collar but on the opposite side the bolt head is still on. When you turn the head the bolt turns but does not come out and the drive shaft moves in and out so I suspect the bolt is bent. I tried driving it out but with no success. Short of welding a rod to the head and using a slap hammer to try to back it out anyone have any bright ideas?

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #2  
A 5 lb hammer and a punch. need to support the
part so you get the full force of your swing!

willy

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #3  
Get well away from buildings and people for safety, at an idle engage PTO then fairly rapidly increase throttle and reduce and repeat.
Presumedly, the bolt is partially sheared, attempt to finish it off.
2nd option keep cutting, it should shear with continued use.
3rd option if you have a pneumatic chisel, put a punch bit in it and go to town. Might use a chisel it on the bolt head also.

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #4  
I like option #2 above.

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #5  
Get well away from buildings and people for safety, at an idle engage PTO then fairly rapidly increase throttle and reduce and repeat.
Presumedly, the bolt is partially sheared, attempt to finish it off.
2nd option keep cutting, it should shear with continued use.
3rd option if you have a pneumatic chisel, put a punch bit in it and go to town. Might use a chisel it on the bolt head also.
How does going to town help the situation?
**WARNING: THIS MESSAGE MAY CONTAIN SARCASM!** READ AND FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK!

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #6  
If the sheer pin is not completely broken, use the cutter until the pin is completely broken.

It’s not going to damage anything.

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #7  
I would clean up the slip clutch and adjust it first. Then buy a spare shear bolt and keep on mowing.

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck
I took an air hammer with a punch to it without success. Guess I run it until it breaks.

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #9  
A slip clutch AND a shear bolt?:unsure:

Could you post a picture?

/ Woods rotary cutter shear bolt stuck #10  
That's what struck me as funny. Both a shear bolt AND a slip clutch.