Woods Mower

/ Woods Mower #11  
Check the shear bolt on the cutter end of the PTO shaft. Make sure that it is in good condition. If this comes loose you may have a PTO shaft powered by a tractor motor flailing about close to the back of your head. This can be very dangerous. Check the blade mounting and stump jumper bolts/nuts. If the blades come loose they can fling in to a rear tractor tire and ruin it (or something worse). Make sure all your attachment points are strong and safe. Always step back after hooking up and double check that something doesn't get missed on the hook up. Be care full where you mow. A mower can suck up a piece of fence or a long strand of barbed wire. This can whip around and suck the operator or bystanders in to the mower. This may sound like overkill but all of the above has happened to me. I was lucky the first time and don't feel like I am owed a second chance.

/ Woods Mower
This is such a great site. You all are so very helpful. Im concerned about the PTO shaft. Mine has about a 24" long square shaft hooked to the mower and the outer cover is 2 piece but not seperable. It slides and turns as 2 pieces but is crimped as to keep it from seperating. It has the square inner and the round outer that both work independantly... I will hook it up and hope that it is the correct length. I did read about cutting to the correct length but my outer 2 piece guard does not come apart and it has no means for chaining it to keep it from spinning with the shaft. >??> :eek:

Thanks.,

/ Woods Mower #14  
This is such a great site. You all are so very helpful. Im concerned about the PTO shaft. Mine has about a 24" long square shaft hooked to the mower and the outer cover is 2 piece but not seperable. It slides and turns as 2 pieces but is crimped as to keep it from seperating. It has the square inner and the round outer that both work independantly... I will hook it up and hope that it is the correct length. I did read about cutting to the correct length but my outer 2 piece guard does not come apart and it has no means for chaining it to keep it from spinning with the shaft. >??> :eek:

Thanks.,

Although I am not an expert I have never heard of a PTO shaft that would not seperate. Square shaft, triangular shaft, or anything else. They have to come apart time to time. To be cleaned and greased. Or they will cease to slide. As far as the correct PTO length goes this is how it's done. Raise the cutter all the way up with the tractor with the PTO shaft disconnected. If the PTO shaft slides on the PTO spline of the tractor with no resistance you are good to go on the "up" side. On the down side you need to see how much engagement the PTO shaft has between male and female of the PTO shaft itself. They do come apart. If it comes apart on the down side your shaft is too short. Be careful about cutting your PTO shaft. That's not done much now. USA tractor people got their act together on this now.

/ Woods Mower
Yes, The square male shaft is currently attached to the mower. The female has the round guard cover over it and the full length cover is what is not removeable.
Thanks.

/ Woods Mower
Thanks to all for the great info. I checked everything out; Hooked up ( which is a pain) And all went well. Its almost unfair to the Weeds. :)

Thanks again for the advice.