Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad?

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #31  
Soundguy said:
I wonder if their metal is contaminated with an oil residue that makes it shed / flake so quickly?

soundguy

If so it would be quite shocking that a company with Woods stature and experience has not figured that out over the past decade or more. Not exactly rocket science or cutting edge manufacturing technology.

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #32  
IslandTractor said:
If so it would be quite shocking that a company with Woods stature and experience has not figured that out over the past decade or more. Not exactly rocket science or cutting edge manufacturing technology.

May or may not be "rocket science", but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see far too much paint coming off far too soon on either of the mowers I owned. Regardless of the reason, it seems to be fairly common with quite a few Woods products.

Remember a few years ago when Ford had problems with paint falling off body panels on quite a few of their pick-up trucks? It ended up being a galvanizing treatment that wouldn't hold paint. It took several years for them to rectify the problem. Ford spends more per year on research and development of finishes and paint than Woods has spent in a lifetime, yet it happened to them. It's not at all inconceivable that there was/is a flaw in the way Woods preps their metal.

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #33  
Farmwithjunk said:
It's not at all inconceivable that there was/is a flaw in the way Woods preps their metal.

Agree. I understand your point about the Ford experience (I had the same thing with a Jeep in the early 90s). However, the car finishes are fairly high tech and cutting edge (i.e. rocket science) compared to the pretty basic paint jobs applied to farming implements. If Woods did have a problem for a year or two that might be understandable but it sounds from the amount of feedback here that it has been a consistent weakness for Woods over time. That is what doesn't make sense to me. Hire the paint shop manager from Bush Hog if necessary, it shouldn't take a team from NASA to figure this out (Houston, we have a problem with peeling paint :D).

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #34  
JK96 - I would bring the original picture and the 2nd picture and show them that it isn't the same machine and demand the machine you already paid for. You paid prior to the "bait and switch". I really think they sold the wrong machine and are trying to make up a bogus excuse to get out of selling you a good machine for a discount.

jb

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad?
John,

Luckily I caught the updated pic on thier website before I made the trip. I just happened see the updated pic with "my" serial number on it and same model year, I e-mailed them and told them to make sure they didn't sell "my" mower by mistake since the other one they had for sale was listed with the same serial number. I then recieved a phone call 20 minutes later telling me it was the same mower, just weathered from sitting outside. I explained to the rep that I found it hard to believe it turned that bad sitting outside. The sales rep swore it was the same mower, just bad paint that woods was notrious for. I didn't make the trip to pick it up, just cancelled the check and told them no thanks. I would hassle if they were a little closer, but not worth my time or energy since they are 240 miles away. If I'd have purchased this and they tried to stick me with the deal it would be a different story.

I just figured that if it was a 2003 and a 9 out of 10 mower, it would be worth the money. Especially looking at the pick for a 5 year old mower. I figured it hadn't seen much use. Looking at the new picture this is obviously not the case.

I haven't named the company because I just don't know the circumstances, if that was what the rep was told by the shop, if he was new and didn't know different, if the picture was originally updated from a file photo until they had time to take a picture, etc, etc. To their credit they did not give me any hassle about backing out of the deal and said they understood. Didn't have much choice though based on the before and after pics.

**on a side note - I bought a woods phd65 post hole digger in 04 when I bought my first tractor, while it hasn't been left outside much, the paint on it seems solid, no flaking or peeling at all, may be due to its limited use though.

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #36  
If they don't recieve a huge pushback from end users.. then they might not be aware of just how bad their paint is..

Never know.. could be something in the prep process that is making it not stick.... might be really-.. really cheap paint.. or an incompatible paint / primer.. or a really really cheap primer.. etc.. lots of variables.

soundguy

IslandTractor said:
Agree. I understand your point about the Ford experience (I had the same thing with a Jeep in the early 90s). However, the car finishes are fairly high tech and cutting edge (i.e. rocket science) compared to the pretty basic paint jobs applied to farming implements. If Woods did have a problem for a year or two that might be understandable but it sounds from the amount of feedback here that it has been a consistent weakness for Woods over time. That is what doesn't make sense to me. Hire the paint shop manager from Bush Hog if necessary, it shouldn't take a team from NASA to figure this out (Houston, we have a problem with peeling paint :D).

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #37  
I've used my RD7200 for two seasons now and the paint is fine except a few areas wear it is worn off. Mine is stored inside summer and winter though. I may be the only one without paint problems from the sounds of it.

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #38  
ccsial said:
I've used my RD7200 for two seasons now and the paint is fine except a few areas wear it is worn off. Mine is stored inside summer and winter though. I may be the only one without paint problems from the sounds of it.

Once upon a time, I was quite a fan of Woods equipment. In addition to the pair of mowers I commented on earlier in this thread, I've owned another 6' mower and a 15' batwing years ago. The batwing suffered from mechanical woes. But it was tortured to death. I can't really hold anything against it for what it went through. I still have a Woods HB84 box blade and a (?)RB84(?) rear blade and Gill soil pulverizer. (Gill is part of Woods) The paint on the box blade and the pulverizer has held up well. The rear blade has peeled, rusted, decals fell off, and is in general, a mess. It's 3 years old and LOOKS 50. From all indications, it ISN'T everything Woods makes that suffers from poor paint adhesion, but a rather significant portion of their product line does. I have quite a few implements that have to sit out. It's cheaper to buy a new rear blade every 10 years than it is to build a shed to keep it in. There's only so much room in the barn....;) But as the cost goes up and up on these pieces, the expectations of their holding up to normal (or in some cases, LESS than normal) use grows exponentially. I want quality for my buck and REAL quality when it's a BUNCH of bucks. Those who know me will attest to the fact I'm very loyal to a brand that's served me well in the past. Not many people own a tractor for 37 years. I've owned Woods products in the past and WAS happy with them. I will not own another Woods product unless someone can establish a pattern of quality throughout their product line that I'm just not seeing now. Doubtfull that the boardroom at Woods is in turmoil from my declaration. But, I don't see their place in the market being made any stronger as their reputation for missing the small details begins to erode their good name.

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #39  
Farm,

Guess they must have made a process change that really is back firing! My BB600 from 2000 is holding paint very well. It is cracking a bit where large chunks of rock slammed and dented the deck, but everywhere else is good. It sits in the non-heated pole building. Gannon box blade is also holding paint very well.

I agree, you pay big bucks you should expect decent paint. I've pulled old stuff out of fence rows after cutting it free of 8" trees and the paint was better than the picture shown of that 2003 cutter! yuck. Why can some thing painted around WW2 and tossed aside in the 60's look better than a 5 year old unused cutter? Progress ain't always what it's cracked up to be!

jb

/ Woods Mower - Can the paint be this bad? #40  
John, you made me think. I wonder if they have started using water based paints like the auto industry. The newer cars are terrible for paint chips and flaking compared to the older ones.

My body shop told me they will be forced into water based paint by the EPA within a few years too. I had them put 3M paint protection film on my new cars rocker panels.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

1997 International 4700 Wrecker Truck (A33544)
1997 International...
Danuser F-8 Posthole Digger (A33041)
Danuser F-8...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
6 Yard steel end load dumpster, used w/ normal wear & tear (A33073)
6 Yard steel end...
Fuel Tank (A33041)
Fuel Tank (A33041)
2009 Chevrolet Express Van (A33544)
2009 Chevrolet...