WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #11  
Do I need to remove the pulley from the hub, or just retighten the hub into the proper location on the shaft?

Reading a bit more about how these tapered hubs worked, I'm surprised it has play in it (about 1/4 worth) and isn't just completely loose on the shaft instead. It would seem as though they are either tight, or they aren't.
The Allen bolts for the compression pulley have to be tightened up in the correct sequence so you need to be careful and find out what the required torque for the bolts are.

The other thing is they have either a dry torque foot pound or a lubricated torque foot pound rating for the compression sleeve to work correctly.

If you do not have them you need to buy a 1/2 inch drive torque wrench and an allen socket for the allen bolts on the compression sleeve.

They obviously did not do the tightening sequence for the Allen bolts on the compression sleeve.

It also looks like the allen bolts have been damaged AND the compression sleeve is not flush with the pulley-it looks cockeyed as the compression sleeve seems to be casting a shadow.

I guess my feeling is have them come and get it and then ask for a complete refund and go to the local Maschio dealer in Maine for a Maschio flail mower.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues
So the plot thickens a bit. On closer examination this morning, it isn't the drive pulley that its moving on the shaft, it's the shaft itself that has play to it. It moves in/out about 3/16" when I pull/push on the pulley. Even when I pull it out to its max, it does not come into alignment with the lower pulley.

I talked to WoodMaxx this morning and they asked for photos to show the problem. I’ve sent, so we will see what the response is.

In noticing that the drive shaft itself has play to it, I also noticed that when rotating the shaft/pulley the PTO side of the gearbox only rotates intermittently. This doesn’t necessarily correspond with what position I have the shaft in relative to its play (in or out).

I would think this means that the problem is all the way back into the gearbox.

I’m asking for a new mower or refund.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #16  
That is not supposed to happen.

Call woodmaxx and request a full refund and ask them to pick up
this flail mower as it is of no use to you.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #17  
I talked to WoodMaxx this morning and they asked for photos to show the problem. I’ve sent, so we will see what the response is.

In noticing that the drive shaft itself has play to it, I also noticed that when rotating the shaft/pulley the PTO side of the gearbox only rotates intermittently. This doesn’t necessarily correspond with what position I have the shaft in relative to its play (in or out).

I would think this means that the problem is all the way back into the gearbox.

I’m asking for a new mower or refund.
I would imagine the issue may indeed be inside the gearbox. The parts manual for this particular model doesn't show an exploded view of the gearbox part unfortunately, but I wonder if the construction is similar to the one on my tiller, which has a locknut holding the gears on the shafts. If this nut come loose, the shaft would get some axial play like you're experiencing.

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #18  
The cross shaft connects to the drive pulley which provides the torque to the V belts that spin the driven pulley
for the flail mower rotor.

There are 3 Maschio dealers that are either in the Great State of Maine
or have multiple stores in the New England area.

Guptill Lodging, East Machias, Me. (207)-255-4130

United Ag & Turf Fairfield, Me. (207)-453-7131
United Ag & Turf Auburn, Me. (207)-453-7131

Hood Equipment Turner, Me. (207)-225-2025

Kwehme09 I am sending you a PM

Still no word back from WoodMaxx.

I took the mower off the tractor, and disconnected the PTO. This led to me finding that the gear box was almost completely loose from the mower. There are 4 bolts (M12) that come up from inside the mower compartment and hold the gear box down, two were missing (NOT broken off) and two were loose. This would obviously effect belt alignment and tension, but it is worth noting that the movement allowed by this looseness is separate from the play in the driveshaft. There is still play in the driveshaft as well, without the gearbox moving. It basically seems like this thing was rattling itself apart inn 3 ours of use.

I know that manuals call for checking the tightness of nuts/bolts, etc. at crazy intervals, but this seems. bit over the top. I wasn't supposed to take the thing apart to check every fastener, right?

/ WoodMaxx Flail - Early Issues #20  
NO, you should not have had to do anything with it.