wood splitter,not a chainsaw

/ wood splitter,not a chainsaw #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Have to replace the motor on my older Huskee 22t splitter. Looking at going with a horizontal shaft instead of vertical. What would the difference be in a 6.5 hp and a 8 hp motor? I think it is a 11 gpm pump.

/ wood splitter,not a chainsaw #2  
There's a lot wrapped up in that question, such as what speed you want/need to spin the pump to maintain the prior output. I know the Huskee 22's over-spun that 11 gpm pump (something like 20%) beyond it's 3000 RPM rating, in order to hit their 11 second cycle times. They also would have had to crank up the bypass a bit to hit 22 tons, requiring something like 3500 psi. So, while you really only need ~4.0 hp to drive 11gpm at a typical 2500 psi from a stock pump, it was very common for these splitters to come with a 6.75 hp or larger engine.

You can make a reasonable estimate of horsepower requirement by multiplying the desired flow rate and pressure of each stage (individually), and then multiplying the maximum of these two numbers by 0.85/1714. The first number is for assumed 85% efficiency, the second number is for psi·gpm to hp conversion. Of course, account for your overspin and increased pressure (i.e. multiply by 1.2 for overspin and then again by 3.5/2.5 for pressure), if wanting to stay at Huskee specs. Check this against the recommended horsepower for pumps sold on ebay, as a sanity check.

I'd consider whatever motor came with the machine the minimum you should use for replacement, as Speeco (built that Huskee) was not sparing an extra dime anywhere on those machines. If they could've gotten away with less horsepower to hit those numbers (11 sec / 22 tons), then be assured your machine would've been wearing a smaller motor.

/ wood splitter,not a chainsaw #3  
There's a lot wrapped up in that question, such as what speed you want/need to spin the pump to maintain the prior output. I know the Huskee 22's over-spun that 11 gpm pump (something like 20%) beyond it's 3000 RPM rating, in order to hit their 11 second cycle times. They also would have had to crank up the bypass a bit to hit 22 tons, requiring something like 3500 psi. So, while you really only need ~4.0 hp to drive 11gpm at a typical 2500 psi from a stock pump, it was very common for these splitters to come with a 6.75 hp or larger engine.

You can make a reasonable estimate of horsepower requirement by multiplying the desired flow rate and pressure of each stage (individually), and then multiplying the maximum of these two numbers by 0.85/1714. The first number is for assumed 85% efficiency, the second number is for psi·gpm to hp conversion. Of course, account for your overspin and increased pressure (i.e. multiply by 1.2 for overspin and then again by 3.5/2.5 for pressure), if wanting to stay at Huskee specs. Check this against the recommended horsepower for pumps sold on ebay, as a sanity check.

I'd consider whatever motor came with the machine the minimum you should use for replacement, as Speeco (built that Huskee) was not sparing an extra dime anywhere on those machines. If they could've gotten away with less horsepower to hit those numbers (11 sec / 22 tons), then be assured your machine would've been wearing a smaller motor.
Check (and keep checking) 'Surplus Center' for engine prices. Occasionally you can be very surprised at the low prices and who made the engine.

/ wood splitter,not a chainsaw #4  
You gotta know for sure whether its an 11gpm pump or bigger. The 6.5 will be fine for 11gpm. NOT for 16gpm which is the next common step up in 2-stage pumps.

Easier question.....what size motor came off of it? THat should give you some indication what you need

/ wood splitter,not a chainsaw #5  
You gotta know for sure whether its an 11gpm pump or bigger. The 6.5 will be fine for 11gpm. NOT for 16gpm which is the next common step up in 2-stage pumps.

Easier question.....what size motor came off of it? THat should give you some indication what you need
Exactly. The Huskee 22 ton machines which I remember came with a Briggs e675, which is a crappy motor, but did make at least 6.75 horsepower.

I have tried swapping one up to a 16 gpm pump on the stock motor, and no bueno... it will struggle. But there are many larger motors that will fit that chassis, if that's what's desired, with little bit more than drilling a few new holes in the mounting plate. Takes some careful measurement, or the making of an adapter plate if the new motor has a longer shaft, but it's a project most handy amateurs could do in a weekend.

If you do the 16 gpm conversion, the hose fitting on the bottom of the tank, and suction line should be swapped up one size. You can use a thin wall fitting there to gain extra capacity within the same NPT size, as it's a low pressure point in the system. You may also want to swap the hard line that runs to the far end of the cylinder with a hose one size larger than the hard line. I don't remember either number now, but can fetch them, if you're pursuing this.

Last edited:
   / wood splitter,not a chainsaw #6  
IS this your splitter?

Just a FYI..... I purchases used a 22 TON DURR (actually manufactured by MTD) with blown B&S 5 hp motor... Picked up same form factor HF Predator 6.5 HP motor for less than parts to repair B&S.... Everything bolted up and everything works with no real adjustments or changes..... This is just to forward the idea to explore several options.... Also hydraulic pump does not really care if its horizontal of vertical.... What may be limiting issue to whether you change orientation may be length of existing hoses specially suction from reservoir and adapter that mounts pump to engine........ Seriously doubt a 22 ton splitter has a "big" pump and a "big" motor, it's really lowend on power band for splitters..... Only real issue here is you may have to redesign mount platform to adapt to different motor orientation/form factor...

Without pressure gauge in system and knowing diameter of ram you are not going to know actually tonnage of splitter...

The GPM (gallons per minute) will only dictate how fast ram will move....

Last edited:
   / wood splitter,not a chainsaw
Got the engine swapped on the log splitter. Replaced the B&S with a 8hp Predator. Pretty easy, needed a mounting bracket for the pump(RuggedMade), a plate to mount the new motor(scrap ) and a longer hose. I think I like the pump higher off the ground, much easier to get to and less likely to catch a stump, even though it is more exposed. Motor seems to catch the first pull, even at 30, plenty of power. My thought is with the 8hp, if the pump goes(it is 15 years old) then a 16gpm pump may be an upgrade.
Of course, fix one thing more shows up. Flat tire, when I jacked it up found the bearings were bad, so new bearings and tubes in both tires. Hopefully good for another 15 years, then it may be someone else's problems.