wood splitter motor swap

/ wood splitter motor swap #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Have an older Huskee splitter(22 ton) with a 650 series B/S engine. Just broke the intake manifold tube and can't find a replacement, so looking to swap a Predator engine. I know I'm swapping a vertical shaft for horizontal, not a real issue. But what would be the advantage of a 6.5 HP vs 8 HP? I think it has the normal 11gpm pump. I think I got the unit in '06, have had no issues other than replacing a hose and a couple of lovejoy couplings, but I do realize the current pump may not last forever. I'm like most and would alway like things faster, but I'm also old enough to know that sometimes faster may not be good. Thansk

/ wood splitter motor swap
Does an 8hp motor have an advantage over the 6.5hp?

/ wood splitter motor swap #6  
Power wise 8 vs 6.5 hp probably not an issue in this application. But mounting and mating the output shaft might be a problem. If the original motor was an I/C engine it may have a better duty rating than the Predator for running under constant load but those HF engines seem to do the job pretty well.

/ wood splitter motor swap #7  
Does an 8hp motor have an advantage over the 6.5hp?
The bigger engine will have heavier crank/flywheel which will help starting, especially in colder weather. (flywheel effect)

/ wood splitter motor swap #8  
   / wood splitter motor swap #9  
I wouldn’t want to mess with going between horizontal and vertical shaft engines. Knowing log splitters my guess is the lower hp engine will do ok but mine does grunt some when hitting a knot sometimes.

/ wood splitter motor swap #10  
Without seeing the layout of his splitter, it's hard to say how tough the swap from vertical to horizontal would be. If it's not a complex switch, I'd prefer the horizontal anyway.

The 8 HP engine should be able to drive a 16 GPM, 2-stage pump, if you want to speed things up a bit. That's what is on my splitter: There is a bracket that bolts to the Honda GX270 engine and the pump mounts to that (connects with a Lovejoy coupler). If you could find one of those brackets, the swap to a horizontal engine would be rather simple (though I have no idea how many $$ you'd have in to it).

Last edited: