Wood Screws

/ Wood Screws #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
When I first starting working as a teenager, "wood screw" was a clunky triangular thing with a flat blade head. Hard to remove, even harder to drive.

There has been so much progress in this area, and so many excellent screws. I can remember when long "drywall" style Phillips head screws came in, that was a game changer, especially for hanging cabinets.

Today I used wood screws to attach stools to the new windows. They are #7 x 3" stainless steel, with a small trim head, and a T15 socket. Easy to use and extremely strong. Used to be, 10d finish nails were the only choice for this kind of application.

Attachments

• screw3.jpeg
    screw3.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 210
  • screw4.jpeg
    screw4.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 191
   / Wood Screws #2  
The choices in fasteners have grown tremendously. I can wander around in a Fastenall store and find things that I can't figure out their use for. :)

/ Wood Screws #4  
I haven't seen a 'torx' head screw down here... which isn't to say that they aren't available.

The common heavy duty screw head around here are 'hex' or 'Allen'. Light duty is 'Philips'.

/ Wood Screws #6  
All I ever use is Robinson, especially for the 3” decks screws. Would love the Torx, but they are too expensive.

Robertson screws (not "Robinson") were invented in Milton, Ontario in 1908.
I like them, but they are not commonly found in the USA.

/ Wood Screws #7  
I keep a large assortment of the torx type screws, except for my trim finish screws which are square head. The torx are a great improvement over the slotted and phillips screw heads. They're almost always my "go to" screw for just about anything.
I've got coated or treated screws for outdoor word, had to replace some fence boards I put up years ago and the torx screws all back out with no problems.

/ Wood Screws #8  
I'm still pretty old fashion. I bought large boxes of Phillips heads and still have a few years worth left. Then it will most likely be the torx head screws. I"ve had to get a complete set of torx drive sockets to work on the motorcycle and to a more limited extent - some of my tractor implements.

The torx system is certainly an improvement over the Phillips head system.

/ Wood Screws #9  
Sorry to say that "Robertson" screws are called square drive in the states. When Check said "Robertson" I had no idea what that was. They are available here and I've used them, but seems that Torx are overtaking them in popularity. Pozidriv are are also popular here.

/ Wood Screws #10  
Back about 1985 or so where I worked they wanted to switch screw heads so the robots could more easily assemble the units. I was in the home office service department and a big concern was the service personnel may not have screwdrivers to repair the units and need to buy a bunch of tools, about 5,000 service people. The factory liked the Torx heads but we would need to get screwdrivers for all the service personnel. We finally went with the combination Torx and slot head screws (top right). I made a collection of as many screw heads as I could find - here is a picture. The phillips head looking ones may also be "Posi Drive or Reed and Prince.
Screws.JPG

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

John Deere 630F 30' HydraFlex Header (A33113)
John Deere 630F...
1036 329D JOHN DEERE SKID STEER LOADER C/A W/16" TRACKS 2848 HRS (A34733)
1036 329D JOHN...
New Heavy Duty Brush Fork Grapple (A34302)
New Heavy Duty...
Krause 7400-41' Disc (A33113)
Krause 7400-41'...
2010 Mitsubishi Fuso FE84D Morgan 16FT Box Truck (A33249)
2010 Mitsubishi...
Steel Winch Plate for John Deere 350G (A34302)
Steel Winch Plate...