wood crossbow

/ wood crossbow #1  

Soundguy

Old Timer
Tractor
RK 55HC,ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC
ok.. was out at the range with some buds sighting in our compoud crossbows.

a guy shows up with a newish manufacture medieval 'style' crossbow

probably only an 80# draw.. and shot home made bolts that were 8" long ( dowel rod, fletching and metal practice tips much like wood archery arrows use.

the thing shot favorably at 50 yards!

I've been bit. got to get me one now. ;)

anyone have an idea of where these things might be sold at?

I asked the guy and he got it at a re-enactmet fair years ago.

it's not a toy.. it really shoots. it was sticking bolts into our high density foam targets a couple inches.

I've no doubt it would take small game like rabbit .. and or predatory nuisance animals like yotes' etc.

/ wood crossbow
ps.. plane jane.

had a lever trigger underneath.. no sights.. you sighted down the bolt. no safety.. no conventional shoulder stock.. just a long piece of wood, shaved flat for a cheek rest... nicely varnished and addorned with brass tacks and such.

the prd appeared to be metal, and had decorative rawhide , laced closed covering it.

string was gut.. or synthetic gut

/ wood crossbow
am deffinately considering making my own..

/ wood crossbow
i finally finished browsing the new world arbalest.

for between 330 and 405 he has some nice stuff.

I have this terrible feeling I will be spending money at that site very soon. ;)

/ wood crossbow #7  
My cousin made a cross bow in wood shop when he was in high school. It worked real well and it certainly was not rocket science. He just bought a kit, worked the wood to fit the kit and create a stock.

Can you imagine a school allowing kids to make a cross bow today?

Later,
Dan

/ wood crossbow #8  
My cousin made a cross bow in wood shop when he was in high school. It worked real well and it certainly was not rocket science. He just bought a kit, worked the wood to fit the kit and create a stock.

Can you imagine a school allowing kids to make a cross bow today?

Later,
Dan

He'd be suspended for even bringing in the plans...

/ wood crossbow
yeah.. probably a crime now...

/ wood crossbow #10  
I took my .410 to metal shop class as a sophomore in high school and re-blued the receiver and barrel. The next semester I re-finished the stalk and forearm in wood class.

To go back a few years earlier, I remember a classmate bringing his new BB gun to school for show and tell.