Won't start after recharging battery

/ Won't start after recharging battery #1  

grayhame

Tractor
John Deere 520
Tractor got left on and killed the battery. We recharged it and still only get a click at the starter. Battery shows 12.86 volts. Always started great before the battery died.

Any ideas? What can I test?

/ Won't start after recharging battery #2  
My usual approach to starting problems is to remove both cables from the battery. Clean battery terminals and clean cable connectors. Inspect connectors for corrosion on the cable itself. Add water to the battery if it's low and if you have removable caps. Replace cables and tighten securely. If they can be moved they're not tight. Follow ground wire to frame. Clean and tighten. Attempt to start. If you still only get a click, monitor the battery voltage while start is attempted. If it drops below ten volts you're due for a new battery.

/ Won't start after recharging battery #3  
You don't mention how old the battery is but if it's several years old then it's possible the battery was on it's last leg anyway and can't really reach a full charge. The battery voltage isn't near as important as the amps that the battery can supply. The amps are the force that turns the starter. Also, how long did you charge it? Was it long enough to indicate a full charge? As Roadworthy said, check all connections and then if you still have an issue you can pull the battery and any major parts store will run a load test on it. Good luck......

/ Won't start after recharging battery #5  
Tractor got left on and killed the battery. We recharged it and still only get a click at the starter. Battery shows 12.86 volts. Always started great before the battery died.

Any ideas? What can I test?
Put voltmeter on the cable side of the terminals, not the battery post. With third hand, crank.

What is the voltage while {failing to} crank??

/ Won't start after recharging battery #6  
Did you try to jump it? If not, try to jump from a known good battery. If it cranks / starts from a jump, then your battery either needs more charging or will no longer hold a proper charge.

Did you take the battery out of the tractor to charge it? If so, suspect loose cables. Either way, check cables at battery to be sure they're tight. A loose cable can let your dash, etc. light up but will carbonize the connection as soon as you try to draw heavy amps through it.

Also check the other ends of the battery cables to be sure the ground is solid and the positive cable is tight at the starter end.

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Won't start after recharging battery #7  
Also check the other ends of the battery cables to be sure the ground is solid and the positive cable is tight at the starter end.

Agreed. But my lesson for Grayham is that a bad battery will look good with no load; it's the voltage under load that counts.

/ Won't start after recharging battery #8  
Yup. Thats why i always test all problem batteries with a carbon pyle load tester and my Midtronics electronic analyzer. Testing voltage alone does nothing.
also, alot of junk chargers cannot charge a fully dead battery.

i have had great success with the NOCO 10 amp charger in Resurrecting dead batteries.

/ Won't start after recharging battery #9  
Actually do voltage test with volt meter in place and trying to start..... IF voltage of battery drops below about 10 volts during attempt to spin up engine its probable toast, no matter what it tests at with no load....

/ Won't start after recharging battery #10  
12.86v is an odd number when it’s not running.

I agree with the posters above in that it may be bad.

If it were me, I’d throw a brand new battery in. May solve the issue. If not, always good to have a spare battery around…..