Wolves in Yellowstone

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #11  
My wife and I watched a mountain lion on our property last July in Northwest Iowa. It was a very large cat too. Two years earlier, I saw one about 75 feet from my patio. The chances of seeing a wolf, however, are slight.

I rode past one on my ATV hiding in open CRP field. I was about 10 feet from it when it jumped up and ran off. Scared the bejesus outta me!!!! And after watching it run off I realized how effective a hunter they could be.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #12  
Wow. Nice place to live if someone can't tell the difference between a pet and a threat to livestock.

MoKelly

It's not uncommon for pets to chase and harm livestock. Actually it's usually a dog that's kept on a chain all the time. When it gets loose, it'll chase anything that runs. I live about 1/2 mile from a small town and I see them chasing my neighbors cattle often. He takes care of business when he sees one too.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #13  
Nice place to live if someone can't tell the difference between a pet and a threat to livestock.

Believe me, being one to rescue lost/abused/abandoned dogs, I'm not just real excited about shooting them without cause. Luckily, this doesn't happen all that often.

I suspect a good number of folks running cattle just see them as a product/investment at risk and eliminate the problem without much emotional consideration.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #14  
Yeah, I've had my share of dogs dumped at my house. A few years ago I had 5, they've since died off and I'm down to 1. I loved them and fed them and provided shelter in my heated shop for them. I would have shot any one of them if they chased my neighbors cattle. I'm surrounded on all four sides by cattle herds. My dogs don't go into those pastures.

What's a breeding stock cow worth now?? $1500?? $2000??

What's the average dog worth?? If your dog chased your neighbors cattle and he caught the dog and held it for ransom,,,,, what would you pay to get it back??? $1500?? $2000?? $50??

Gotta look at it from their perspective as Egbert said.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #15  
What's the average dog worth??

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, funny you should ask. We've dropped about $15K on just 2 of our mutt rescues. How do you look into your dog's eyes and just say ... Buddy, today is the day you take that one way ride. My wife and I have committed to provide the best possible life we can for these beautiful animals that have fallen into our care. It's not always easy but it is always a blessing :)

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #16  
I agree. My experiences have always been blessings as well. But you and I are not average.

Most pet owners that let their dog chase cattle wouldn't pay $50, let alone $1500.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #17  
What's the average dog worth??

Welllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, funny you should ask. We've dropped about $15K on just 2 of our mutt rescues. How do you look into your dog's eyes and just say ... Buddy, today is the day you take that one way ride. My wife and I have committed to provide the best possible life we can for these beautiful animals that have fallen into our care. It's not always easy but it is always a blessing :)

You are a good man. I love your post ... it says everything.

Thanks.

MoKelly

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #18  
MoKelly, thank you. I don't deserve the compliment, but thank you very much.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #19  
What I get out of the video is wolves eat everything then the beavers come and f***everything up by turning good land into a swamp! We have enough swamp!!We have enough beavers! Wolves were delt with long ago for a reason and I am sure history will once again repeat itself.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #20  
I think Wolves get a bad rap. I also believe Cougars/Mountain Lions get a bad rap here in the Midwest. It's simple human nature.

If you are alone in the wild with a loaded gun and you see a rabbit looking at you, are you gonna shoot it??

If you are alone in the wild with a loaded gun and you see a Wolf or Cougar looking at you, are you gonna shoot it??

The number of people that say yes to those two questions will be considerably higher with the second question.

Human nature.