Wolves in Yellowstone

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
I received this in an email recently, and found it to be very profound. I have no particular affection for wolves, and I know the ranchers in that area would like to see them disappear, but this video gives one food for thought. The changes that they refer to here are remarkable, and, in my opinion, required an intense and well coordinated scientific study. It appears that the reintroduction of the wolves has had a very positive overall effect.

How Wolves Change Rivers

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #2  
Ten years ago I was 4 wheeling in high country alone near Leadville Colorado. I saw a Wolf cross the trail ahead of me. It then played hide n seek in some scrub brush for a couple minutes, sticking it's head up to see what I was doing, then disappeared. 4 years ago three vehicles of us were going over Black Bear Pass East of Telluride Colorado and saw two wolves go over the pass ahead of us. They were in open country and visible for a minute or so before disappearing. Most City dwellers in Colorado will say I'm crazy, there are no Wolves there. I don't argue. But I know what a Wolf looks like.

I understand the Ranchers concerns and they are well founded if the Wolves are taking livestock. I would accept that they have the right to protect their stock. That doesn't include shooting every Wolf they see.

Here is Missouri it's now Cougars or Mountain Lions. The Missouri Game Conservation agents here finally admit they are around. They say if you or your possessions are threatened, take action. Last Winter one was killed in the Suburbs of Des Moines Iowa. It was sighted several times near a school. Law enforcement killed it.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #3  
I received this in an email recently, and found it to be very profound. I have no particular affection for wolves, and I know the ranchers in that area would like to see them disappear, but this video gives one food for thought. The changes that they refer to here are remarkable, and, in my opinion, required an intense and well coordinated scientific study. It appears that the reintroduction of the wolves has had a very positive overall effect.

How Wolves Change Rivers

I dunno, anyone using the term 'deer' to describe 'elk' (and yes, elk are in the deer family) has me questioning their familiarity with the subject. The big question with the Yellowstone wolves is what are they going to eat once they run out of elk?

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #4  
We have the same thing here in Wisconsin.People were seeing Cougars in different parts of the state but they kept saying they weren't in the state.It took a couple of years before pictures were taken then the truth came out.We have some that move through just down the road from the house.I did see one years ago.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #5  
Heard a story about this topic on the radio recently. I see how there is certainly merit on both sides of the equation. Crazy thing to me was this story about a husband and wife with livestock near yellowstone: They'd had problems with the wolves taking livestock (well actually it was an assumption that it was wolves not cats) and per the governing rules, they shot a wolf on their property soon afterward. Now, there's no telling that that was the same wolf that had killed any of their stock, but they were within the rules in killing it, since it was on their property and they had lost stock to predation.

Anyway, the wolf that the guy shot was one of the most popular wolves in the park. It had a cute name, something like "daddy's girl", a webcam presence, and a strong following online. I'm sure if they'd had any idea the shi*storm they stirred up, I bet they would have sold the stock and moved to LA before shooting that wolf. The woman said she gets emails daily from elementary school students telling her they hate her and how wrong they were to kill the wolf. Yikes!

Like I said, i see how there's merit to both sides, and I'm not saying that only one side is launching personal attacks. That was just part of the story, but your heart goes out to the poor farmers who accidentally put themselves on the poster for killing wolves.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #6  
I've got neighbors who will shoot a dog just for walking across their pasture. They take no chances and have no reservations about protecting their livestock. It's just understood, if your pet gets off your property ... it may not return.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #7  
We have the same thing here in Wisconsin.People were seeing Cougars in different parts of the state but they kept saying they weren't in the state.It took a couple of years before pictures were taken then the truth came out.We have some that move through just down the road from the house.I did see one years ago.

That is what happened with the wolves in Montana and Idaho. They were there but the government organizations denied it because the wolves already being there didn't fit with the re-introduction plan. So they spent millions to reintroduce the wolf, now they have problems with wolves killing livestock and decimating elk populations. So now they are spending millions to study the wolf packs and hire professional hunters to kill the wolves off is some areas. Your tax dollars at work.

Professional hunter eliminated 2 wolf packs in Frank Church Wilderness

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #8  
I should add that wilderness is true wilderness not the 'wilderness' that city folk think of which is just 'forest'. With no people, no livestock etc. you would think true wilderness is one of the areas wolves are best suited to... but apparently not. So if they don't work out there... where do they fit in today's environment?

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #9  
My wife and I watched a mountain lion on our property last July in Northwest Iowa. It was a very large cat too. Two years earlier, I saw one about 75 feet from my patio. The chances of seeing a wolf, however, are slight.

/ Wolves in Yellowstone #10  
I've got neighbors who will shoot a dog just for walking across their pasture. They take no chances and have no reservations about protecting their livestock. It's just understood, if your pet gets off your property ... it may not return.

Wow. Nice place to live if someone can't tell the difference between a pet and a threat to livestock.

MoKelly