Winterize Power Washer Pump ?

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #1  

Mrwurm

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30 Hydro 4x4, Gravely Zero Turn Mower
My friends and coworkers all insist that a power washer pump must be filled with anti-freeze for the winter (Michigan) to prevent the pump from freezing and breaking the seals. They say that there is no way to drain all the water out of the pump.

I would like to use my power washer all winter long to clean the road-mud off the cars. Filling it with anti-freeze after each use is just not practical.

Any thoughts?

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #2  
With mine I attach a short section (2 foot) of garden hose to the water inlet and fill it with antifreeze. Pull the rope starter a few times to draw it into the pump. Then I put the soap siphon tube into the bottle of antifreeze and pull the rope a few more times. It only takes five minutes to do and I have never had a problem.

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #3  
Jerry,

Only 2. And one is kinda obvious. Keep it in a place that stays above 32 deg. Or maybe blow it out with compressed air, idle it way down for this maneuver. The former will certainly work. The latter probably will work.

Nick

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #4  
Sears sells a product called Pump Saver for this purpose.
My first winter I thought I had all the water out but come spring found the pump had cracked due to water freezing ($159) so now I haul the power washer to the basement, as the garage is not heated.
PJ

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #5  
Last winter was the first with my power washer. I keep it in the unheated barn. I used the same technique as Logan but I used windshield washer fluid (good down to -20 or so the jug says).

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ?
Ok, thanks for the tips on winterizing. I am trying to figure out a way that I can use the washer all winter long. I have thought of wrapping the pump with heat tape and keeping it plugged in all the time (you know, the kind of stuff you wrap pipes with to keep them from freezing). I also thought of maybe aiming a heat lamp at the pump. Another idea I had was to build a closet along the wall that connects the garage to my house and steal a little heat from the house to keep the closet warm. The closet idea will allow me to keep the washer and hoses ready to go at all times. Filling the machine with antifreeze once a week or so when I use it would just be too much hassle.

Ok, any thoughts on this?

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #7  
I use the pump saver. It costs about $7.00 a can, and I get 3-4 applications from a can. It clears out of the washer in about just a few seconds. The washer also is kept in a heated part of my garage that was formally a mother-in-law type apartment. The pump saver also is supposed to provide lubrication to the pump when the washer is not used or a couple of months.

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ?
This is the picture from the sears web site for the Craftsman Pump Saver. Can anyone explain what I'm seeing in this picture and how it works?

Attachments

• 6-209486-pumpsaver.jpg
    6-209486-pumpsaver.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,077
   / Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #9  
I will probably only get 1 application from my can (which is OK as I would lose it before next year anyway), but I put it away without winterizing as I was planning on using it again and turns out that won't happen. The wand and pressure hose were still attached. The way I had it put away I couldn't get the hose off, but I could at least manage to get the can connected to the inlet. I just hit the valve on the can and hit the wand and let it push all of the water out of the hose as well. Hadn't thought about getting the water out of it as well as this is my first year for it. May have used a little more antifreeze but at least I know everything is protected including the wand.

/ Winterize Power Washer Pump ? #10  
Jerry
I run RV antifreeze through my pressure washer. I pour 2 gallons into a 5-gallon bucket. Put suction hose in to bucket, Start washer and with wand in bucket run the antifreeze until pink comes out of wand. This can be done several times over the winter until antifreeze is diluted with water and a new bottle of antifreeze is needed.
My pressure washer is over 10 years old with no problems.