Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs.

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
Looking for suggestions to protect about 60 maples from deer rubs. The easiest and cheepest thing I can think of would be 3 t-post in a triangle around the trunks to keep the bucks from being able to completely destroy them. Picture attached. The deer were eating them down to the ground every year. This spring I replaced them all with trees that were taller. They can no longer eat the tops but last night a buck took out about 10 of them with his antlers.
20221026_121439.jpg
Screenshot_20221026_150052.jpg

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #2  
Around the 3X T-posts, 48-inch high welded wire fence wrapped and tied with zip-ties works. We've done this for years. Deer will both rub and eat the bark or the wood destroying your trees.

1666816744535.png

1666816775666.png

1666816893080.png

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs.
   / Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #4  
Shoot, I've got 8" dia maples that half the bark got rubbed off. The wife had a bunch of old perfume that I threw on them to stop it and they just move to other trees. They won't rub Black Walnuts but they sure like those Maples. Maybe rub some of that inky walnut stuff on the other trees?

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #5  
Deer were eating my apple trees this spring so I cut up a length of concrete reinforcement mesh and put one around each tree. It's been rolled up for years so held it's shape and stands up on it's own. I can easily move them for mowing.

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #6  
Have the same problem here. A mesh around each tree helps.

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #7  
Strange - I have lots of deer around here -mulies and white tailed. They never bothered the apple trees in my orchard. Pocket gophers - a totally different matter.

The deer WOULD eat the low hanging apples in the fall but that was about it.

My be because my dog "irrigated" each and every fruit tree - almost daily.

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #8  
Planted a small peach tree the other day and put a cage made of field fence around it, with a t post support.
The deer just nipped it through the openings.
Had to wrap mesh around the fence to stop them

You may want to wrap a spiral of barb wire around the post to help.

Or maybe use this instead

IMG_5610.JPG

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #9  
Use the 4" corrugated tile/pipe like you have at the bottom. Just make it extend up 4-5'. The stuff is cheap.....less than a buck a foot around me. So ~$5 a tree. A 250' roll would do 50 trees and cost ~$125 from where I buy drainage from

/ Will this work? Need to protect trees from buck rubs. #10  
get some 5' tubex tubes. they last and last and last. its what I have to plant everything in to keep the deer off of them.