Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark?

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
I have some old propane tanks I would like to get rid of but they have to be opened. I am thinking of cutting the valve off with my Sawzall, but really don't care to blow myself up.
Another option is to perforated them with my .308, but that may not go as planned either.

Thank you

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #3  
A few years back. I got rid of two ten pound propane tanks - using the .308 method. I have 80 acres - so setting them at 100 yards or so - no problem. I was disappointed - both were easily perforated - NO big bang.

I assume the valves are - more or less - bonded to the tanks and can't be screwed off.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #4  
Brass doesn't spark but the valve may contain a steel pin in the mechanics of the valve. That would (could) spark. I'd enjoy the 308 method of emptying. Take note, gas can remain in the tank even when it appears to be empty. Propane is heavier than air.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #6  
Brass doesn't spark but the valve may contain a steel pin in the mechanics of the valve. That would (could) spark. I'd enjoy the 308 method of emptying. Take note, gas can remain in the tank even when it appears to be empty. Propane is heavier than air.
So couldn't one just turn the tank upside down, open the valve and drain it?

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark? #7  
Sure, but what's the fun in that? If there's much left, it will come out in liquid form.

/ Will cutting brass with steel cause a spark?
There is some type of mechanism that keeps fuel from coming out if no appliance is attached. I found that out the hard way years ago... I left the valve open for a few months, then put a wrench on it and turned the valve out. I'm lucky I wasn't leaning across the top, the valve shot up about 30 feet and would have taken me in the face.

Since others have tried it first I may resort to the .308 method. At least if something goes wrong I will be 100 yards away. :D

I also found out recently that there is no approved way of getting rid of all of those disposable propane tanks I've thrown out over the years. Apparently they don't want them in trash incenerators... go figure.