Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog?

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #161  
I don't know, this is the smallest ones we have taken, they went to the processor and because they are so small I expect the meat to be very good, more steak and less sausage with these. My guess will be about 20-30 pounds of meat each but it may be more or less depending on how much fat there is. The last sow was very fatty and we just got her back so we haven't sampled the meat yet, she was about 50 pounds of meat.

I didn't expect to get two today, but they all stopped about 20 yards from where I dropped the first one so I took the second. I opened the back door and saw them digging in the back of the property under an oak tree, they go for the acorns. I really enjoy the .17HMR, so accurate and easy to shoot, I don't regret not having a .22 any longer, this thing does a great job.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #162  
Thats actually a lot more meat than I would have expected. That's worth hassling with for sure.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #163  
I care more about the quality than the quantity of the meat. The meat is often not great for anything but sausage but I have higher hopes with the pot belly and native crosses, it partially explains the high fat content of the meat. I may fry up a few steaks for dinner tomorrow.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #167  
Is that the little NAA with an aftermarket handle? I'm thinking of getting one for myself and my wife. That looks like a Mag Cyclinder or is it just LR?

It's the NAA "Sidewinder" in .22mag (also have the .22LR cylinder) with the factory NAA "Secret Service" grips (same as the Black Widow grips). The original grips are beautiful and I love them, but the functionality of the SS grips is outstanding by comparison.

In it's little ******** pocket holster, it just disappears in my front pocket. Comfortable even when sitting/driving.

IMG_0129 (768x1024).jpg

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #168  
Excellent photoshop.

No need 'photoshop'.

Old fisherman's trick. :cool:

Piggy is ~1/2 as far from the camera as posed hunter. 5-600lb hog looks like it's 1400lb. ;)

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #169  
No need 'photoshop'.

Old fisherman's trick. :cool:

Piggy is ~1/2 as far from the camera as posed hunter. 5-600lb hog looks like it's 1400lb. ;)

Yep,

We used to do the same thing with prairie dogs. You can make a tiny animal look really big with camera tricks. The idea that there are these huge 1,000 pound man eating russian boar running loose is another Texas exaggeration. They are just escapees from the zoo/hunt clubs that are so popular down South and back East where people pay $ to shoot all sorts of domestic goats, sheep, pigs, etc.... Nothing to be afraid of as people who shoot them usually use blinds, bait, helicopters, etc.. because the pigs run if they see you.

/ Will a 45 Cal. stop a wild hog? #170  
We've had an unusual number of wild hogs going through the property lately. One scared the bejeebers out of me while I was out back fixing up the long neglected shooting range. (Midmorning and bright sun.) I had a arm load of lumber and when the brush and ground started shaking, I about pooped my pants. I thought we had wild elephants or something. Fortunately, he took off the opposite direction. I say HE because momma would probably have charged at me. Carrying around a 30-30 isn't manageable so I'm wondering if a 45 ACP would convince one to change direction? I usually carry a 9mm when going to the barn or out back at night but I think that would be like throwing rocks at them. I've never hunted hog so I don't know much about what to use. I sure don't want to have to sling a rifle everywhere I go on the place.

As a note; I hear 300-400 pounders are common. Some reach the high side of a half ton in size so we're talking about some good sized game. :eek:

I can tell you that a .40 works for the small ones I have here. I took a momma and a baby this morning with the XD from about 30 yards. Got the sow first and the little ones just stood there looking at me. If I would have had one of the AR'S I think I could have got more. They didn't want to leave the sow. They were miracle shots as I am near sighted and cannot aim very well with my glasses on, I can't see the rear sight clearly.

I think if you can hit them you can discourage them from coming your way with the .45 or the 9mm.