Why do tire chains work?

/ Why do tire chains work? #1  

Kubotarip

Tractor
Kubota L3000DT
I'm an idiot, and want to learn things. Can someone explain to me the science/engineering on how tire chains work? How do the provide traction in snow/ice? Thanks for any help!

/ Why do tire chains work? #2  
they increase the adhesion/grip/dig into 2 surfaces that lack the same.

On onside of the chain it grips into the rubber of the tire. (Rubber to chain)
On the other side it grips (digs) into the ice or slippery surface. (chain to ice)

so rubber-to-chain-to-ice is greater adhesion / grip than rubber to ice with nothing in-between.

/ Why do tire chains work? #3  
They decrease the contact area, therefore increasing the point load applied to the ice/snow surface. Increased point load encourages breaking the smooth surface condition creating a bite (increased static friction).

/ Why do tire chains work?
So the chain is breaking the ice at every contact point, makes since. In my head it just seems like a smooth chain would be slick on ice. I'm from the deep south so I've never even seen a tire chain lol.

Thanks for the info guys!

/ Why do tire chains work? #6  
It is generally called surface pressure or surface loading.

PSI for example is pounds per square inch. If you want to increase surface loading you’ve got to either add pounds or reduce square inches. The chains reduce square inches drastically. On a hard surface like pavement itms enough to damage the pavement. On ice it is effective because it can break the surface layer and sink in a bit.

On the other side of things, compact track loaders are generaly preferred now over skid steers with ‘regular tires’ because they spread the same number of lbs over a much larger surface area, reducing damage to the surface they drive over, and also being much less likely to ‘sink in’ (and get stuck).

Semi trucks generally dont hydroplane because they have a huge surface loading of their contact patch compared to regular cars. Sporty cars with low weight and wide tires hydroplane very easily because their surface loading is low. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

/ Why do tire chains work? #8  
Consider our local school busses,
they have deployable rotary swinging chain elements that are trapped between the moving tire and the road surface.
Enhanced mechanical engagement!

Seems to work fine.

/ Why do tire chains work? #9  
So the chain is breaking the ice at every contact point, makes since. In my head it just seems like a smooth chain would be slick on ice. I'm from the deep south so I've never even seen a tire chain lol.

I'm from Louisiana and live 20 miles north of the border region. Saw my first tire chains in 1972. I have those four chains here now. Our logging equipment has chains but we don't use them. More for mud than ice. But, it snows here often enough. Last time was 18" and it shut this place down. Snow chains were very useful for over a week. When everyone else can't go, I can go. I had 3,000 head of cattle I had to feed every day for two weeks. In four different pastures. One was a 30 mile trip one way, every day.

/ Why do tire chains work? #10  

A smooth chain probably would slid on ice but chains made for ice have spikes on them.