Why are hoses hard to connect???

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #31  
Mike Morgan recently showed this tool on one of his YouTube videos. Seemed to work very well.
Yep, this is where I learned about the tool:

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #32  
It's temperature change. It creates pressure. If you unhook the grapple with the jars fully closed, then the hydraulic cylinders cannot open or close slightly with pressure change. If you can tilt the grapple down with the jaws open slightly it may help. I have also had luck with mating the male connector to the tractor FIRST. then move the levers to depressurize THEN connect the other side. Finally, I made this (see pic). Take the grapple off, put this connector/valve on and leave it on until you need to use the grapple again open valve to relieve pressure. Connectors will hook up easily.

I wish they sold these robust clamps here in the states

Attachments

• IMG_20210404_123557.jpg
    IMG_20210404_123557.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 85
Last edited:
   / Why are hoses hard to connect??? #33  
I had any of my connectors that were straight (like your photo) with hose changed to 90 degree connector fittings. found I have more pushing power and leverage to get them on when they are a...well you know...

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #34  
I often have this problem with my grapple. I try to keep a rubber mallet and a rag on the machine to hit it with.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #35  
Those definitely are not break away couplers

They are Pioneer 4200 series couplers. I have a bunch of them. The sleeve is easily recognizeable.

"Parker's 4200 Series are double shut-off quick couplings and the 1/2"" size is compatible with 5001-4 and 5006-4 breakaway clamps. Couplers have push to connect operation and a push/pull breakaway sleeve."

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #36  
Will try it this afternoon after it warms up outside.
Warmed up to 40°f, so tried it for putting the attachment hoses together.
They are lined up:
20220307_145453.jpg
20220307_145617.jpg

Clicked together, easy peasy.

Tried it on the Toolcat, top connector lined up:
20220307_153957.jpg

And seated:
20220307_144528.jpg

Bottom connector lined up:
20220307_153637.jpg

And seated:
20220307_144752.jpg

The XBoom QC-Mate is a gooder-un 🤞

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #37  
The XBoom QC-Mate is a gooder-un 🤞

I'm glad it's working for you. I'm very pleased with mine!

I've even used it with FF couplers on loose hoses. It worked fine. Before getting the tool it was a nightmare for this old geezer. :)

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #38  
I usually just carry a small brass drift in the tool box and when I need to depressurize a fitting, I use it and something handy to thump it with, usually a pull pin. I'm 72 and never have an issue..

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #39  
I think they guys are right: It is pressure preventing the coupling and unscrewing the connector of course relieves that pressure.

I am puzzled however by the picture you provided on the orig post. That connector says Pioneer stamped right on it. Typically 'Pioneer' connectors are "shove hard or pull hard" to attach or to detach. I always called them "AG connectors" too. Thus they have no sleeves to take the spring pressure off of ball bearings. Considerably cheaper than the flat-face skid-steer styles. I am confused by that photo and the several descriptions of your experience.
Even ag couplers have a sleeve that moves to release the retaining balls.

They are usually just mounted by the sleeve...so it's actually the body of the coupler that moves instead. But in either case....the sleeve and body move independently of each other and MUST do so to release the balls

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #40  
Sturdy rag to cover the end of male coupler to mitigate spray contamination, nylon or rubber hammer to tap end, gloves to protect hands.