Why are hoses hard to connect???

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #1  

Fuddy1952

Elite Member
Tractor
1973 Economy and 2018 John Deere 3038E
Today I went to connect my grapple hoses on. Anything hydraulic I use plastic end caps when not used. I always shut tractor off and relieve pressure by moving levers. I shop rag wipe everything clean. One went on easy as pie, I hold female ring back, slip in & release in seconds. Other I fought with 1/2 hr. No nicks or burrs, it's similar to picture but 3/4" so more holding balls around edge but same ball valve design.
Finally I removed female end and it went on & off easily, so I just coupled it back connected. No leaks.
What In the world makes them hard to connect at times? Doesn't make sense.
2022_03_06_19.41.23.jpg

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #2  
Probably a change in temperature caused expansion in the implement.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect???
What I can't understand how taking coupling off of hose end it goes on-off perfectly. And other one, same connectors goes on off easily. So simple but mind boggling!

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #4  
Heres what you do:
After you disconnect them from tractor, take the implement-side hoses and connect them. Then disconnect them. A little fluid will be released. Then reconnect them. Now you have a small expansion space for the next time the fluid expands from temp/pressure increases. It also keeps both your hydraulic ends nice and clean and protects them

Last edited:
   / Why are hoses hard to connect??? #5  
The type of coupler in your picture can definitely be a pain sometimes.
One of my tractors has break away couplers and those are usually much easier.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #6  
The problem arises when you unhook the hoses while it's relatively cold, then attempt to rehook them in warmer weather. Simply, the oil expands a miniscule amount in the hose/cylinder and the tip will not push in to allow recouplong.
HayDudes method works if you remember to do it.
I don't force them very hard. If they won't latch, wiggle the joystick to make sure the tractor side is relaxed. Then, cover the hose end with a rag to prevent getting sprayed, and press the tip hard against something on the tractor, the floor, a tire, whatever. Get the tip to push in a bit.
If that doesn't work, loosen a convenient fitting on the offending hose, either end. Usually, i go for the cylinder end. A half turn will creat a little bit of "space" inside the hose. Press against the tractor or floor again to get that tip to move back a bit. Latch the coupler, then retighten the fitting. You won't lose more than a drop or 3 of oil.

Last edited:
   / Why are hoses hard to connect???
That's what I ended up doing by removing coupler I guess. I could push ball in be hand and I always move joystick and spool valve. Strange how it wouldn't connect. I did get 90+% work done before dark and tomorrow supposed to rain.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #8  
The type of coupler in your picture can definitely be a pain sometimes.
One of my tractors has break away couplers and those are usually much easier.

Those are break away type couplers, except they're not mounted.

Since the sleeve can go either way to unlock those are easier to connect- just hold the sleeve and push with the male end.

If the ambient temperature raised 20 degrees or more since the grapple was disconnected, the fluid in the grapple will have built up enough pressure to make it hard to connect.

I plug in a tee with a valve when I disconnect a hydraulic attachment.

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #9  
Those are break away type couplers, except they're not mounted.

Since the sleeve can go either way to unlock those are easier to connect- just hold the sleeve and push with the male end.

If the ambient temperature raised 20 degrees or more since the grapple was disconnected, the fluid in the grapple will have built up enough pressure to make it hard to connect.

I plug in a tee with a valve when I disconnect a hydraulic attachment.
Those definitely are not break away couplers

/ Why are hoses hard to connect??? #10  
Probably if you take a rag and cover ball and give it sharp rap against chassis or with hammer, it will release pressure and you may end up with small wet spot on rag, or not but pressure will be released... There is also some different tools to supposedly ease the problem, have seen discussion somewhere in the forum......