Who's Foton?

/ Who's Foton? #1  

Paystar

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
Just wondering, I see a couple "backyard" dealers popping up in my area. Who makes Foton tractors. Are they any good? Don't seem to be priced too cheap in this area for an "off brand".

/ Who's Foton? #2  
At first they are a chinese Company, stating that they use Perkins engines, Carraro Axles and ZF trannies.

There is a thread here about the Foton (Europard in some corners of the world), but you will find this infos by a bit research:

The engine is not the orignal Perkins, he is out of a Joint Venture Perkins made with a chinese company, which still has "Perkins" in their brandname. Same is for the axles and the transmission.

If you check the design it is not hard to figure out, that this kid has a lot of fathers and maybe only one mum! :).

Name them Foton, Jinma, LuzHong...they all look the same.

Alibaba.com - The world's largest online B2B marketplace.

Made-in-China.com China manufacturer directory, China products, China suppliers, China trade, China factory

PS: We also own a chinese tractor, the first XT 180/200 in Germany.

DSCK0024.jpg

some links:

?????????????

The Tai'an Taishan Guotai Tractor Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

Products-LUZHONG TRACTOR

tractor

/ Who's Foton? #3  
It is a jimna basically or as everybody call them Chinese tractor.

/ Who's Foton? #6  
If you post in the Chinese tractor forum you'll find some dealers that have knowledge of Foton.

/ Who's Foton? #7  
Rural King is the biggest seller of Foton by far in my area. I compared one of their 70 hp Foton tractors to one of the roadside dealers selling the exact same tractor and Rural King was almost $3500 less. If I added loaders to each and compared the price difference then, Rural King was nearly $4000 less. I have no idea how good the tractors may be, but they weigh quite a bit and, especially when Rural King runs their 10% off specials which includes their tractors, they seem to be quite a buy when compared to others.

/ Who's Foton? #8  
I can only speak of the 25hp (Foton 254a) and the (40hp) Foton 404. The 404 is very strong and rugged. The 254 was good for mowing and light work, a good fit for a small acreage.

Now a ..HUGE.. issue is service after the sale. Parts and service are very important and should be seriously considered. If you are mechanically inclined you may be O.K. The dealer network is growing and more resources including parts inventory are available all the time. I am lucky since I have Mayer Implement in Bevington, IA, about a 30 minute drive. Mayer was one of the first importers and have built an excellent service department, including mobile maintenance service techs.

Make sure you are on solid ground when to comes support after the sale.

/ Who's Foton? #9  
Hi, I just bought a 2005 Foton 254 used. It has a 25 hp Y38 engine. I'm working on the hydrolics now the loader goes up too slow. I've had it for three days. I plan to put an inline filter in, it came with a screen.

/ Who's Foton? #10  
Hello Valley. Hey if you could let me know what type of inline filter set up you use and how well it works I have the exact same tractor and am planing on doing the same soon as I get my hydraulics sorted out right now it has some serious issue's but with it having these problems I bought it for cheap and it runs great but have to sort out the problems.Lift dosent work pouring hydraulic fluid out from the transmission through the clutch inspection hole,it's wetting down the clutch area and also dosent want to shift into any gear so it seems like theres some problem there as well.Any help would be appreciated.