Who makes a loader mounted lift pole?

/ Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I am trying to find a boom to mount on my loader to set trusses. Horst has a 6'-10' boom and a 13'-20' hydraulic extended boom. The bigger boom is $1800 which is more then I want to spend and I don't need the hydraulic extend. Bobcat and Cat have truss booms they sell but I can't find much infromation on them. If I can't find a decent boom I will have to make one up but I don't have the time to mess around in the garage right now.

The trusses are 15' tall and will be set on a wall 12' tall.

/ Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #2  
Good afternoon, Robert --

I need the same thing and am planning on using a 3 pt. boom pole from TSC (BOOM POLE, $89.99, TSC # 2128147 Tractor Supply Company ,see attachment) and having someone weld two cat1 bottom attachment points and two top plates for attachment to a forklift attachment for my loader that I need to have them make. This will make the forklift attachment a multi-use tool in that there are numerous 3 pt. attachments that you could then hook to the front.

Richard

Attachments

• boompole.jpg
    boompole.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 640
   / Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #3  
Did I read this right? 12' high wall then 15' high truss that's umm 27' to the top of the truss ,granted you can lift from anywhere above the cg.
Pretty high and the loader bucket or arms is up there. How wide? How many. I tried to do this once and it was real iffy. I went with a crane.
The other way I have seen it done is put then up by hand side down and then flip them up by hand. These were nailed and glued joints out of a Cornell Aggie design book. I am not sure the modern ones would be stiff enough to flip around . Got to watch the flipping space near the end and flip up enough while there is space to finish. IF you have never done this before you need a lot of bracing to keep the trusses up until it's all done.

/ Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #4  
I built a pole on my Case 580 loader. I could handle the truss, but you just can't control it slow enough. What I mean is, move the loader 1 inch up at the truss it's moving a foot! :eek: I got a crane for 400.00 set the trusses in couple hours.

/ Who makes a loader mounted lift pole?
This isn't the first barn we have built, however, reliable labor is hard to find so we won't be setting them by hand.

We have thought about using a crane and that is a possibility. Ideally I would do this myself though. One concern about using a crane is the fact this barn will be built in a very tight area on a dead end road on the shore of Lake Erie.

This barn is 30 wide x 56 long. The trusses will be attic trusses and depending on the owner it will range between a 9/12 to a 12/12 truss so the height of the truss will depend on the final say of the owner. The weight won't be too much for my tractor but tipping is always a concern regardless of what machine is doing the lifting.

The hydraulic boom from Horst would take care of any bouncing issues associated with this as I could raise and lower the truss with the hydraulic boom so that might be something to consider. But properly ballasted the tractor doesn't bounce much and the hydraulics are set up to allow precise, slow movements.

/ Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #6  
No crane...this is how we used to put them up...but it's a three man crew op...

Attachments

• 368032550_9526068d5a.jpg
    368032550_9526068d5a.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 610
   / Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #7  
I took one of the 3 point hitch model boom poles from TSC and modified it to fit my bucket. This is how we set all our trusses for small to medium post frame structures that we cannot lift and set by hand.

Attachments

• DSCN4469s.jpg
    DSCN4469s.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 612
   / Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #8  
We set the trusses on my log cabin by hand. At least the first three or four. It is doable but it is slow, tedious and exhausting. My B-I-L just happened to 'co-own' an old utility pole truck. The tranny sort of crapped out, but not until we got it in place next to the cabin. I think we got all the rest of the trusses up in less time that it took to do the first four.

When that pole truck was if-y, I considered renting a boom truck. Price is not all that bad but you had to have a CDL which I did not have.

As far as reach, you need a lot. You really need to be able to cinch the truss at its peak and be able to lower straight down from there. This was just a simple log cabin and we needed all the reach of this pole truck with its fiberglass boom extension.

/ Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #9  
reasley said:
Good afternoon, Robert --

I need the same thing and am planning on using a 3 pt. boom pole from TSC (BOOM POLE, $89.99, TSC # 2128147 Tractor Supply Company ,see attachment) and having someone weld two cat1 bottom attachment points and two top plates for attachment to a forklift attachment for my loader that I need to have them make. This will make the forklift attachment a multi-use tool in that there are numerous 3 pt. attachments that you could then hook to the front.

Richard

The TSC's here carry a higher load boom pole than that one, though it's not on the web site. They have that one and it's rated at 500 lbs I believe, but they also had one that was rated for 1,500 lbs and came with the Cat I/II pins with 3 lugs. Very secure. It seemed worth it to me for the cost, but you may not need the capacity. Just a thought.

/ Who makes a loader mounted lift pole? #10  
Interesting, Spiveyman --

TSC could do much better on store layout, product descriptions, and availability of alternate models. Their managers and staff are the nicest people in the world, but the home office needs to provide much more from corporate in the way of marketing support. If they did this, they could increase sales significantly.

Your description of the larger boom pole is analogous to the regular vs. heavy duty post hold digger that I discussed recently. The heavy duty one is not in the catalog and if I hadn't tripped over it at the store, I wouldn't have know that it was an option.

If I had known that they had a heavier boom pole available, too , the price differential would have certainly been worth it. However, in defense of the smaller one, my guess is that the 500 lb. limit is very conservative. One additional function that I discovered recently with it is its ability to poke and move 1100 pound round bales (on the 3 pt.). I know that, since the bales center is further down the boom pole's shaft, that it's not an apples-to-apples test of the unit's upper weight limit but, nonetheless, it was a nice discovery!

Richard