Who’s cutting hay?

/ Who’s cutting hay? #91  
This is probably a silly question... Back when I was a kid I always saw sickle hay cutters that laid the grass down flat and spread out. Those guys didn't have to use a tedder. Now I'm seeing mowers that purposefully windrow the cut grass. Maybe it's a regional thing? Why would you want the grass in rows to have to spread back out then rake back up?

Sickle mowers leave the grass nice and even in the swath because they just snip the plants' stalks and they fall over the sicklebar when it passes. Any kind of rotary mower has some propensity to propel what it has cut in a direction tangential to the rotation of the cutterhead, such as how your lawnmower blades turn clockwise as viewed from above and shoot grass out of the right side of your mower deck. Rotary mowers such as disc and drum mowers are a lot faster than sickles and this is why they are so widely used today, the narrower windrows are a consequence of the cutter design, particularly with the drum mowers. You can also intentionally make narrow windrows with most drawn hay cutters by adjusting the width of the swath doors in the back. We run ours pretty much wide open and everybody else here does the same as the wider swaths dry better than a narrow windrow.

I can think of one reason somebody would intentionally make a narrower windrow right out of their cutter and then ted it. If they know that due to crop and drying conditions that they have to ted anyway and want to make the windrows narrow enough they don't have to drive over them when tedding, and do the tedding pretty shortly after cutting so they don't lose much drying time of having the swath spread wider to begin with.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
This is probably a silly question... Back when I was a kid I always saw sickle hay cutters that laid the grass down flat and spread out. Those guys didn't have to use a tedder. Now I'm seeing mowers that purposefully windrow the cut grass. Maybe it's a regional thing? Why would you want the grass in rows to have to spread back out then rake back up?
I can adjust the width of my windrows on my disc mower from 3’ to over 8’. The older sickle mowers didn’t have roll conditioning or flail conditioning like the more recent haybine s and disc mowers (most) do.
The mowers with conditioning tend to gather the crop, condition it, then throw it out into the adjustable chutes.
Narrower windrows can also be a strategy for allowing the ground between the rows to dry out.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #93  
KIMG0284.JPG

Took a while, but found the first hillside field to bale this year. Only sent one into the trees though.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
   / Who’s cutting hay?
While haying I spotted this 10 pointer.
Might have to skewer him this fall.

1658447527736.jpeg

/ Who’s cutting hay? #99  
Chopping some third cut--it's hay adjacent anyway. Truck duty in the morning.
KIMG0289.JPG

Pack tractor later on.

KIMG0291.JPG