Who’s cutting hay?

/ Who’s cutting hay?
It always hurts your feelings when that happens , but it's just a part of hay growing , weathermen are the only people that I know who can consistently get it wrong on a regular basis and keep a job.

I am blessed to live somewhere where there’s a voracious appetites for any less than perfect hay.
$120/ton aint too bad and it sure beats trying to pass off bad hay to people with cows or horses.

Last edited:
   / Who’s cutting hay? #112  
Made 85 second cut 4x4 round bales off about 30 acres today. Considering the lack of rain, a very good yield. At this point it's far enough along in the summer that the lack of functioning AC in the tractor sounds like a project that can be put off again for next season...

/ Who’s cutting hay? #113  
I am blessed to live somewhere where there’s a voracious appetites for any less than perfect hay.
$120/ton aint too bad and it sure beats trying to pass it off to people with cows or horses.

I think anywhere beef cattle are the main consumer of hay this will be at least somewhat the case. In particular, people with cow-calf operations can feed it to the dry cows and do okay. This has been a lousy year for growing hay and pasture with the drought, so people are looking for whatever hay they can get their hands on in order to try to avoid having to sell cattle they don't have enough pasture or hay to feed at a loss.

Small squares are another ballgame, there is no market for small square bales of lousy hay.

/ Who’s cutting hay?
I am getting $200-$250/ton for average quality feed bales.
My regular customers know my bale weights.

/ Who’s cutting hay? #115  
I cut a second time and it was thin, didn't really want to bother my neighbor with baling big bales so I made small bales. Ended up with 428 bales, they are all sold. If the whole field would have been like the second picture I would have baled big bales but look how thin the rows are on the last picture. I almost had to hire a professional hay grower to show me the rows when it came time to rake. :):)

IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG

/ Who’s cutting hay?
Had to stop raking & baling this field today with this cold front approaching.
It rained like heck 5 minutes after this picture

1661988131177.jpeg

/ Who’s cutting hay? #117  
Had to stop raking & baling this field today with this cold front approaching.
It rained like heck 5 minutes after this picture

View attachment 760519

Send some over if you will. We're having an huge drought with the water levels on rivers, lakes and ponds getting an all time low. Some can even be crossed by just walking across it.

Quite a few villages have been getting their water tanks filled by the firefighters.