which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet

/ which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet #1  

electrycmonk

Silver Member
Tractor
Satoh 370 diesel & Cub Cadet 7260 Diesel 4WD standard
I just got home from a local JD dealer that used to be a Cub dealer as well.... I have learned some new vocab but, not sure how to best search the forum with these words.....because they are so common in our language that the engine should give me nearly every thread in the forum...

Raw data:
Cub Cadet 7260 with a FEL but, no rear QD kit installed (they can have them and there "was" a kit)
The shop supervisor told me that the Cub's back then had one of these 3 systems:
1) open center
2) closed center
3) compensated center
He also said to be on the look out for the systems a) standby pressure & high pressure as well.
He said that once you know that stuff you will be able to figure out which "power beyond parts the 7260 will need to hook up to a backhoe etc.

I've tried the phone number for Cub that he gave me and the CSR is supposedly trying to find out any info and email.it to me today. He said he has an idea who might know or be able to help figure it out & that they would email me as soon as they had any info.... He then went on to say that if they hit a brick wall that he'd email me all they found and the brick wall fact so I'm not left in the dark. I thanked him for the previous call I has made to 'tech support' couldn't find there way outta the script to even think about a solution......

I found a backhoe that will fit. I just need to figure out how to get the hydraulic system adapted to run the BH with pigtails and some (likely) valves and a possible solenoid or two????

Thanks in advance folks.
And if I need to post pics of my system.ihave a few ready but, I'm trying to draw a simplified schematic for fluid from the data I have gleened so far...,.

/ which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet
This is what Tractordata says: TractorData.com Cub Cadet 7260 tractor information

Did you already buy the backhoe? There are backhoes that could run off the PTO vs. using the tractor hydraulics.

/Slaps forehead as that link loaded on my phone I realized what it was and as soon as I saw the "hydraulic" highlight and was like "Sheeesh, I should of looked there 1st!"

That page I was looking at A LOT over the last few days as I have been doing size comparison for tractor to backhoes & flail mowers.... Somehow I totally dropped this one. Thanks @old and tired for that.
I have my eye on a backhoe that now "know for sure" is the ideal size for my Cub.

As for PTO vs. QD hoses. I'm deep in Mcgyver mode with the one i'm very serious about. It is QD pigtail style and not the preferred PTO method. So I'm trying to figure out how quickly I can use the "power beyond plug/port" on the FEL block to piggyback the Backhoe for the short term. If somehow someone had a cheat-sheet of part numbers and prices and how quickly it could be built up I'd jump at it but, I have no time the next few days to do such a list and then hunt for best prices then order & wait........

From what I understand as of right this moment, I can get a a hoses made at a local shop, get a couple manual ball valves and have a couple 'Y-connextors" for FEL & BH to "TEE" off the block on the tractor.......

That's my thinking, humbly ignorant that it currently is..... I'm open to legit suggestions & always open to wisdom.

/ which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet #4  
electrycmonk,
A couple of questions on your tractor.
1) Does it have a 3 point hitch?
2) How many hoses on the FEL valve? 6 or 7

7 hoses would point towards open center system with power beyond option which would make adding the hoe much easier.

I would be very surprised if a 26 HP tractor had a closed center hydraulic system but it is possible.

electrycmonk,
A couple of questions on your tractor.
1) Does it have a 3 point hitch?
2) How many hoses on the FEL valve? 6 or 7

7 hoses would point towards open center system with power beyond option which would make adding the hoe much easier.

I would be very surprised if a 26 HP tractor had a closed center hydraulic system but it is possible.

1) yes. 1,653lbs max lifting @24"
2) I don't know which part is the "valve" you speak of. ********* Looking at parts manual PDF picture of the FEL hydraulic hoses connection block mounted on the right side of engine near the oil filter(from the driver's seat) this aluminium block has 7 hoses/pipes coming out of it plus a plug in the top of the block.

On the link shared above the Tractordata page shows that this tractor :
Hydraulics:
Type: open center
Pressure: 2133 psi [147.1 bar]
Valves: 1 or 2
Pump flow: 7.8 gpm [29.5 lpm]

This block has 3 hoses that have quick disconnects that attach to the FEL box with the joystick.

/ which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet #6  
I can tell you that you can NOT put a "Y" into the system. So power beyond is the high pressure hydraulic oil that circulates through your tractor. It's a single line.

The FEL valves always has high pressure running through the power beyond port. It can access (tap into the pressure) and divert the oil to pressurize the cylinders of the FEL (to raise up) but when the pressure is not needed, it lets the fluid (oil) bypass so the next valve (rear ports or back hoe or last inline the 3 point hitch) to use the pressure.

Valves/spools have to be hooked up in a series (one after another) with each valve having a power beyond port to let the oil travel from the pump through the high pressure line and back to the tank.

I just re-read the part where you were thinking of using ball valves and the "Y" connector.... are you thinking you can cut the power to the FEL and divert it to the backhoe? Those ball valves will blow up most likely... I think they are rated at 600 psi, you'll need 3,000 psi. That is NOT how to do it!!

/ which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet #7  
The FEL valve is the valve that is controlled by the joystick you use to operate the FEL. Not sure the Cub is built but flow the linkage from the joystick down to where it connects to the FEL directional control valve. This valve body is typically cast iron and would normally have seven lines connected to it for an open center system.

Lines are:
inlet or pressure
two lines for raise and lower of loader
two lines for curl and dump
one tank line going back to tank
one power beyond line that would typically power the 3 point hitch.

Quick test to see if your cub is plumbed this way is to lower the 3 point fully. Then operate a function on the loader fully like curl or dump and attempt to raise 3 point at the same time. If 3 point does not move when the bucket is moving you have power beyond from the FEL to the 3 point. You will have to identify this line to build a connection for the back hoe.

You would disconnect this line from the point and install a quick disconnect. Then you need to install a quick disconnect on new line going into the three point. When the back hoe is NOT on the tractor you will need a jumper hose to connect these to quick disconnects to operate the tractor. ALWAYS shut the tractor off when connecting or disconnection these lines.

To connect the back hoe you will have to connect the pressure of the back hoe to quick disconnect coming from the FEL valve.

Tank line of the FEL can either connect to a 3rd quick disconnect that you can tee int the tank line of the FEL valve or plug into the quick disconnect feeding the 3 point. Just do NOT attempt to operate the 3 point with the back hoe installed. Doing so could potentially damage the back hoe valve assembly.

I can tell you that you can NOT put a "Y" into the system. So power beyond is the high pressure hydraulic oil that circulates through your tractor. It's a single line.

The FEL valves always has high pressure running through the power beyond port. It can access (tap into the pressure) and divert the oil to pressurize the cylinders of the FEL (to raise up) but when the pressure is not needed, it lets the fluid (oil) bypass so the next valve (rear ports or back hoe or last inline the 3 point hitch) to use the pressure.

Valves/spools have to be hooked up in a series (one after another) with each valve having a power beyond port to let the oil travel from the pump through the high pressure line and back to the tank.

I just re-read the part where you were thinking of using ball valves and the "Y" connector.... are you thinking you can cut the power to the FEL and divert it to the backhoe? Those ball valves will blow up most likely... I think they are rated at 600 psi, you'll need 3,000 psi. That is NOT how to do it!!

Do to my obviously lacking correct vocabulary your concern is very understandable and warranted. The frustration I'm trying to overcome is that I can "see" how something works but, I have to get my vocab to hurry up and 'thru it's learning curve' so that I'm not thought of as a "hey y'all watch this" type of ID here in this forum. Sorry if my grammar and metaphor scared you- rightly so.

/ which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet #9  
Elect
I can稚 speak for the other old guy but I greatly appreciate the fact that are willing to admit your limitations in knowledge on this subject and are not afraid to ask for help.

Hopefully with a little patience we will help you understand what is required to make your system operate correctly and safely

There are a lot of things in this world that I know just enough to be dangerous. Occasionally I am smart to admit this before I do something really stupid. Note I did say occasionally.... :)

/ which type of hydraulic system & a few other questions for my cub cadet #10  
...Sorry if my grammar and metaphor scared you- rightly so.
No problem, I was in your shoes a while back. I didn't know anything about hydraulics and the terminology was "Greek" to me, as well. I was able to plumb in 3 spools so I know Kubota's setup, I just don't know Cub Cadets... so I don't know exactly what to tell you what you need to do.