Which oil to use????

/ Which oil to use???? #11  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The most important thing of all to remember is that this mower is 18 years old. I imagine the engine has about 1000 hour on it. That's a lot for a lawn mower engine. The engine has outlived two starter motors and a transaxle.)</font>

<font color="red"> 18 years is not all that long, and 1000 hours of service isn't much! My Power King tractor has only had a head gasket, a carburetor needle, and a few batteries replaced in 30 years, and landscapers in the warm states may run their mowers for nearly 2000 hours per year for several years!

Actually I wouldn't recommend a Dixon if it ate two starter motors and a transaxle in less than 1000 hours!!

</font> /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ Which oil to use???? #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( A lot of these specialized formulas for engine oils are marketing scams. I'm not saying there aren't differences, I'm just saying the differences aren't as profound as many people want to believe. )</font>

<font color="red"> Some Useful Info! </font>

/ Which oil to use???? #13  
The old Dixon z-drive transaxles were designed to eventually wear out over time. They worked on friction. I could explain in more detail but I really don't feel like it at the moment.

The starter was not a Dixon issue. That was a Kawasaki issue.

Only the smallest and cheapest Dixon mowers still use the z-drive transaxle these days. I'd still recommend them.

/ Which oil to use???? #14  
So Amsoil sponsored a study where their product came out on top. Should that surprise me? Should I regard that as anything more than glorified advertising?

/ Which oil to use???? #15  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So Amsoil sponsored a study where their product came out on top. Should that surprise me?

<font color="red"> No, not if you are a cynic. </font>

Should I regard that as anything more than glorified advertising?

<font color="red"> Yes, if the study was done by an independent testing laboratory, and there are actual test procedures and numbers to back up the claims and conclusions. </font> )</font>

/ Which oil to use???? #16  
If amsoil were lying about their product. Why don't mobil (or whom ever) come out with their test that shows they are superior & prove amsoil to be a liar ?Believe what you want & use the oil that you want, it's your life.He asked what oil to use & we gave our opinion. If you believe all oil is the same you have a right to your opinion even if you are wrong. If he or you choose to use inferior brands ,that's your business.If you want to use the best, use amsoil................. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Which oil to use???? #17  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'm not really sure what you're talking about when you say it's not rated for small 4 stroke engines.

Are you using 4 stroke mobil engine oil or regular automotive grade mobil oil ? Like I said mobil offers a 4 stroke engine oil for small 4 stroke engines. Mobil is a good oil amsoil is better in my opinion, but what ever brand you choose to use , match the oil to the application.

/ Which oil to use???? #18  
Some people call me a cynic. I prefer critical thinker. It's not that I think Amsoil is bad stuff. And it could very well be the best. I just want to see unbiased testing.

I ride motorcycles. The best motorcycle publication is "Motorcycle Consumer News." Each issue is only about 40 pages long. It's printed in black and white on what is basically heavy newspaper. Perhaps some of you have seen it. It's also one of the most expensive motorcycle magazines on the market. Anyone care to guess why? They accept no advertising money from anyone. Years ago the magazine was taking ad money. Honda gave them a Goldwing to test. They gave the Goldwing a horrible review. Honda got upset and pulled all of their advertising money from that magazine. Long story short, the magazine doesn't have ads because they feel they cannot publish honest reviews if they have to worry about a company getting offended and removing their ad revenue.

How does this correspond with Amsoil? In the Amsoil study, they used an independant lab to analyze the oil. If the lab gives them results they do not like, they'll probaly find a lab that will. That's not likely to happen. What is likely is they can change a number here and there to get the results they want.

With this all said, I have seen unbiased publications state that Amsoil is very good stuff. But they also point out that you are ultimately splitting hairs to find the differences.

/ Which oil to use???? #19  
I use automotive grade oil. From years of motorcycling I do believe synthetic is far superior to mineral based. Synthetic oils are modified to better withstand high temps. High temps are quite common especially in air cooled engines. The only rating numbers that matter are the ones that indicate oil viscosity. The ratings are indicated as things like SD, SH, etc. They can be found somewhere on the bottle. Your owners manual will list them as well. As long as a few of those ratings on the bottle match those in the owner's manual, the oil is perfectly acceptable for use.

The reality is that most engines in just about anything are made better than they've ever been. Before my parents bought the Dixon, they had an old Snapper with an 8hp Briggs engine. That engine didn't have pressure lube. It didn't have a cast iron cylinder sleeve. The engine ultimately died on it. My parents didn't repower it because it was already too small for its job. Most of the newer engines all have much tighter tolerances, pressure lube, cylinder liners, improved carbs, better ignitions, etc. Oil is certainly a key element of longevity. Good design and build quality are as well. Whether you use Amsoil, Mobil, or whatever they sell for .99$ at the local gas station, you're probably going to find that your engine will hold up just fine.

/ Which oil to use???? #20  
You're right, it is a great magazine. I read it in the late 80's or early 90'sand thought they were out of business. I'm going to find it agian.