Which Kubota

/ Which Kubota #11  
Wayne, I was passing by a Kubota dealer this morning and stopped just to look around, especially at the L3710 and L4610 that they had on the lot with air-conditioned cabs. I sure wish I could afford that; don't need a heater, but some cooling sure would be nice./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif As far as the L series being too big or heavy for mowing, the bigger tires distribute the weight over more area, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. In fact, the L3710 they had with the air-conditioned cab had turf tires and a 6' finish mower hooked up to it. Of course, if it weren't for the heat and dust, the B2710 or 2910 is a fine machine; I don't think you can go wrong with it, and it'll be considerably less expensive to buy.

Bird

/ Which Kubota #12  
Wayne,
How much was the soft cab? That is something I would like for the winter time.

Von

/ Which Kubota
Von,

I haven't yet gotten a firm price for a soft cab. But according to the add for Carver Equipment http://www.carverequipment.com/, an advertiser for this forum, they are advertising a heated soft sided cab for $1300.00 . They're prices look very competitive and reasonable on everything that I've checked on. It is entirely possible that I'll be making my purchase from them.

--Wayne

/ Which Kubota #14  
Wayne,
The next time you and your wife are traveling north skip over to Town Line Equipment Sales,for they seel Kubota's/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif and different attachments,also they are great people./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

I live in Lebanon,NH kinda of central of where you live now and your second home.

Take care and stay /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ Which Kubota
Thanks very much for the tip, Thomas. Is Town Line Equipment Sales located in Lebanon also? We occasionally follow Route 89 to Burlington VT so it's probably not far off our track.

--Wayne

/ Which Kubota #16  
Wayne,
Just take I-89 north and than exit 20,than go left onto 12A south and about 6 miles on your left in the town of Plainfield,NH you will come to Town Line Equipment./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Have a safe trip

Thomas..NH

/ Which Kubota #17  
Wurso, Nice to see someone from the "north" new in this board. Nothing against the south just that we can relate to the climate a little more. I'm from the Jay Peak area of VT. Been by your northern neck of the wood to get to Rangley Lake in Maine.

I have a Curtis cab on my New Holland with hard side. I looked At the soft sided cabs and didn't care for them. They must work well but I don't know if they will last a long time. I found on mine that I just remove the doors for summer. I have not gone a winter yet with the cab. One thing that I did notice with the Curtis cab is that with the doors shut and windows shut it is very loud inside. I would also recommend the rear wiper option.

I have been in a Kubota cab on an L series and they are nice. If the cab is the main focus of your purchase go with a L series cab. Enjoy and good luck.

Rowski

/ Which Kubota #18  
wurso,

I also live in southern NH (Raymond) I am also looking for land up north and a tractor . Just wanted to add a note if your thinking leads you back to a blower.If your driveway is gravel I would strongly advise not!!
I use to have a 18 horse tractor with a blower, the first snow I went through about 15 shear pins I got so mad I dug a hole with my backhoe an buried the blower.

I would also like to know what dealers you have talked to local. Every one I have talked to from Colebrook to Providence laugh when I tell them Carvers prices. One insisted to me if I bought from Carver he would not touch the tractor so now I am considering NH

/ Which Kubota
stvman,

Good point on the gravel driveway! I do indeed have a gravel driveway, but I figured I could adjust the height of the blower so that it was about an inch above the gravel surface. Perhaps I was wrong. In any case, I've decided against the snowblower option. It looks to me like the front loader is much more versatile overall for both summer and winter.

With regard to dealer names, first I should fill you in on how I go about shopping for any big ticket item. My first job is to become as knowledgeable as possible about the product I am about to buy. I do this with cars, computers, large appliances, etc. So I spend time talking to dealers (no discussions of rock bottom prices!), surf the net, purchase magazines, etc. In short, I want to make sure that I fully understand the capabilities, limitations, tradeoffs and approximate ballpark pricing differences of each product, each model, each manufacturer, and each dealer.

From this information, I'm able to narrow down my choices on the model selection and also on the pros and cons of each dealer or amnufacturer. I'm an engineer by trade so I quickly gain a technical understanding of just about any product. What I'm looking for when talking to dealers is a sense of honesty, enthusiasm for the customer, in-house support and repair capability, in depth product knowledge, etc.

Once I have all this information in my head, I then start shopping for value. Please notice that I did not say that I was shopping for the lowest rock bottom price. There is a big difference! All in all, I would much rather deal with a local dealer on any product if the value of his service is appropriate to my needs.

What I carefully weigh is my experiences with the individual dealers, as well as internet prices, etc. I've found that sometimes dealers who are knowledgeable and cordial for my preliminary investigations are not so cordial when it comes time to discuss price and they know that I've done my homework. In fact, they are sometimes downright arrogant. That's OK because I their attitude becomes part of my formula for calculating overall value.

More often then not though, my discussion with just about any dealer would go something like this... "Hello Mr. Salesman who I've gotten to know over the past several visits. I want to buy an XYZ model product that you sell today. I can pay cash. I would prefer doing business with a local dealer but I've found a substantial price difference between your list price and this price that I've gotten from the internet. Is there anything that you can do to close this gap?". Generally speaking, they'll all come down in price. Also generally speaking their price will be somewhat higher than the internet price. Once again, I'm looking for overall value, not price.

If I decide that their overall value (not price) is within reason, I'll make the purchase from them. If on the other hand, they ar rather put off my my doing my homework and are arrogant, that attitude goes into my overall calculation of value. A huge price difference for an internet source might persuade me to purchase over the internet if the local dealer is being totally inflexible. Any product sold in New Hampshire must meet the basic warranty of merchantability and fitness. If a product requires warranty work and the local dealer is unwilling to deal with me, I then go to the manufacturer who somehow must make good on his product. If he doesn't make good on his product, then the manufacturer gets to deal with the State Attorney General or my attorney or small claims court.

In short, I have spoken to many dealers recently. Some are local to our geographical area (Plaistow, Colebrook, etc.). Others are not so local. I've seen no point in discussing rock bottom price with any of them so far. I'm still in the process of understanding all of the technical aspects as well as understanding the value of what I'm about to purchase.

--Wayne

/ Which Kubota
Dear Rowski,

Thanks for the post. You live in a very beautiful area of Vermont. If you've gone to Rangely, you've probably driven by my vacation home. It's on Route 26 just east of the Balsams Hotel and Dixville Notch (first in the nation to vote in the presidential primaries).

I didn't know that you could remove the doors on a hard sided Curtis. Then again, I'm a newbie. I saw a soft sided cab sitting on a B2710 and noticed that the doors were removeable. All in all, it looked pretty good to me.

Now as far as total comfort is concerned, I don't doubt that the Kubota factory cab is much more comfortable than any aftermarket cab. The Kubota factory cab has air conditioning, heat, defrosters, etc. But the curtis cabs that I saw have removeable doors, and rear panel. So I would think that in our neck of the woods, a Curtis with a small ventillation/defogger fan would be adequate for our summers. Heat in a cab in the winter seems to me to be a necessity. Is the rear panel removeable on a Curtis hard-sided cab?

Thanks once again for your post!

--Wayne