Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor?

/ Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #1  

dbchaplin03

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060, Wright StanderX 61”
Greetings,

I'm curious what the largest (weight, lift capacity, etc), most capable tractor is on the market today with an HST transmission? Are there any nearing the Utility class size in weight and performance? Our last tractor was a Kubota L6060 which is still on the smaller side.

We are purchasing a small hobby farm with 40 acres hopefully as we prepare to retire from the military. I've had 2 significant knee surgeries so I'm either looking at a large HST or a power shuttle tractor because my knee doesn't hold up well to clutching anymore.

/ Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #2  
Best wishes on you upcoming retirement. I believe the L6060 is at, or near the top of the HST machines. I suspect you will want to try out the numerous options available on larger machines.

/ Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #3  
   / Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #4  
You can buy a farm tractor with an IVT tranny, much better/stronger than a hydro...

Yanmar also has a tranny that's not a hydro that would probably fit your needs.

SR

/ Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #5  
The New Holland TV tractors were available up to ~150HP with a hydrostatic. I don’t know if they’re still in production…

The TV-6070 was a newer version

The bidirectional tractors like these for loader work would be the only large hydro tractor I would want.

Terrible fuel economy for doing and ground engaging work or even baling hay and such.

Many powershift tractors don't have a true clutch, its an inching pedal to only hold neutral until the selector is placed in neutral and creep. It depends on the models but several are very light pressure in comparison to a dry clutch.

Most CVT/IVT tractors also have an inching pedal as well.

Last edited:
   / Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #6  
The bidirectional tractors like these for loader work would be the only large hydro tractor I would want.

Terrible fuel economy for doing and ground engaging work or even baling hay and such.

Many powershift tractors don't have a true clutch, its an inching pedal to only hold neutral until the selector is placed in neutral and creep. It depends on the models but several are very light pressure in comparison to a dry clutch.

Most CVT/IVT tractors also have an inching pedal as well.
I have 2 CVT tractors. Very handy. Both have clutch pedals. Neither tractor will start without the clutch pedal depressed.

1708258992425.jpeg

1708259136274.jpeg

/ Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #7  
Greetings,

I'm curious what the largest (weight, lift capacity, etc), most capable tractor is on the market today with an HST transmission? Are there any nearing the Utility class size in weight and performance? Our last tractor was a Kubota L6060 which is still on the smaller side.

We are purchasing a small hobby farm with 40 acres hopefully as we prepare to retire from the military. I've had 2 significant knee surgeries so I'm either looking at a large HST or a power shuttle tractor because my knee doesn't hold up well to clutching anymore.
40 acres is a nice size farm. Isn't it fun to be thinking on tractors!? My wife and I made a project out of buying ours, and had fun spending several weekends going to various dealers. I'd say keep an open mind. What you get might be a Tool Cat or a Telehandler rather than - or in addition to - a traditional 3pt tractor.

I used to say it all depended on the land and what you want to do with it. Growing apples is different from growing hay or horses. But now that I am getting older, I still want to work the land but am limited.

Some combination like a basic 3pt tractor plus a Tool Cat with a loader and cab for chores is looking a lot more reasonable than they used to. I keep mentioning the Tool Cat because they are comfortable, you don't have to climb up or down into a cab, they seat two, and carry things without having to put them in the bucket... all things my old body finds attractive.

YMMV,
rScotty

/ Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #8  
Yeah but the loader has very limited height reach.
Not good traction in deep mud or undulated ground, either.

/ Which Brand/Model has largest HST Tractor? #9  
I have 2 CVT tractors. Very handy. Both have clutch pedals. Neither tractor will start without the clutch pedal depressed.

View attachment 852855

View attachment 852856
You can call it a clutch pedal if you want but there is not dry or even wet multidisc clutch in those tractors. They just have a hydraulic damper where the clutch would be against the flywheel.

Most companies call them inching pedals to denote the difference in how they work but the end result(tractor not moving/or inching forward) is the same. And yes you have to hold them to start as a safety feature in the same manner as well

The pedal in those forces the transmissions hydraulic pump to zero stroke and holds it there in not allowing the speed selctor to control the pump. When its at zero stroke the transmission output shaft does not turn because the ring gear on the planetary is allowed to freewheel.

Its a fendt designed and manufactured in germany transmission. Its shipped to france where both of your tractors were built in the same plant. They are basically the same tractor except the Challenger could have a 6.6L Cat in it depending on its age and the MF has a SISU diesel engine. HP ratings are different on the engines. I think the MT575B is the one with the exact rating as the 7495. MF, challenger, fendt, sisu are all Agco.