Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA?

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #11  
I’m running 12’ spacing on columns and trusses, so wind and snow loads can lead to some serious deflections on less-than-adequate strength members. My engineer spec’d SYP #2, or any lumber with equivalent bending strength and E mod (which even spf #1 doesn’t meet). I didn’t look yet for any MSR, since I figure yellow pine would be easier to find.

I see a Menards not too terribly far away in WV that stocks what I need … so that may be the plan.
Why such a wide spacing? Wouldn't a few more posts be a good thing?

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA?
Why such a wide spacing? Wouldn't a few more posts be a good thing?
Fewer columns, fewer holes, fewer fasteners. I have confidence in my engineers design, so I don’t see any reason to add primary members.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #13  
Fewer columns and trusses but now you have to drive far away to pick up SYP lumber instead of SPF and hope its actually stronger/better for a 12' span. 2x6s on edge, right? 16" spacing?

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA?
I’m not driving anywhere to pick up 12,000 lb of lumber! One way or another it’s gotta come to me.

Purlins are 2x8 on edge, girts are 2x6 bookshelf style. All at 2’ centers.

I’m more worried about building it right than building it cheap. It’s supposed to last me a lifetime. Or at least the half a lifetime I’ve got left.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #15  
I’m running 12’ spacing on columns and trusses, so wind and snow loads can lead to some serious deflections on less-than-adequate strength members. My engineer spec’d SYP #2, or any lumber with equivalent bending strength and E mod (which even spf #1 doesn’t meet). I didn’t look yet for any MSR, since I figure yellow pine would be easier to find.

I see a Menards not too terribly far away in WV that stocks what I need … so that may be the plan.

I’d have to look at the plans to get a better understanding but I don’t think a 2x8 is rated to span 12 ft.

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #16  
Is it too late to move your posts (columns) and trusses to 8' spacing instead of 12? If you want this building to last forever, why push the limits so far on post spacing.....? just 2 cents. I can picture a lot of visible sagging after multiple years of heavy snow atop your roof. Also with the 2' centers... do you need heavy sheathing atop the 2x8s or were you going with direct metal?

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #18  
They spec’d 1000psi Fb and 1,600,000psi E. (Oddly, 1.6M is higher than #2 SYP is rated) It looks to me like #1 SPF is off those figures by about 15%.

I’m getting all these values from NDS 2018
Only way to get those numbers is #1 SYP otherwise it pushes you into MSR or MEL lumber. So its a bit contradicting to spec 1000Fb and 1.6E then also say #2 syp or better.....because even the #2 syp dont meet those numbers.

So you gotta decide if you are gonna go with "#2 or better SYP" as a baseline, or if you are gonna go with the 1000FB/1.6E as a baseline.

Either way.....it may ultimatly be stronger and cheaper to just upsize the lumber. 2x10's for purlins and 2x8's for the girts???

I know the small 20x32 building I just built....2x8x16's were $20 whereas 2x6x16's were actually more @ $26ea

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #19  
I’d have to look at the plans to get a better understanding but I don’t think a 2x8 is rated to span 12 ft.
Obviously lots of variables. Spacing, wood grade, and live/dead loading....and allowable deflection.

But most polebarn builders here in my parts of the midwest use 2x4's flat for 4' trusses, on edge for 8' trusses. Going to a 12' span from an 8.....I think a 2x8 is more than sufficient for purlins. I know 8 years ago when I was planning a build.....and debating the whole 4', 8', and 12' OC trusses......most of the truss MFG's spec'd a 2x6 MSR board on edge for the purlins.

Heck a cheap 2x4 #2 grade SPF that most people use for purlins is only rated to span 5'10" ON EDGE. (40psf live, 5psf dead, L/240, 24"oc). Yet people lay them flat where they are less than half the strength.

Same parameters as above, 40psf live, 5psf dead, l/240, 24" oc......a #1 SYP 2x8 is rated for 11'10". So I think the 12' span is no problem.

But as I mentioned in my last post.....if upsizing is feasible to make sourcing lumber easier and not that much more cost....2x10's will span 13'3" for #2 SPF and 12'1" for #2 syp. Stronger on both accounts than the 2x8

/ Where to find SYP lumber in SW PA? #20  
Is it too late to move your posts (columns) and trusses to 8' spacing instead of 12? If you want this building to last forever, why push the limits so far on post spacing.....? just 2 cents. I can picture a lot of visible sagging after multiple years of heavy snow atop your roof. Also with the 2' centers... do you need heavy sheathing atop the 2x8s or were you going with direct metal?
Nothing wrong with 12' OC posts. Its all in the engineering. Nothing wrong with 8' OC posts either.....but it has to be designed and built one way from the start.

8' OC you can use alot of 2x4 and 2x6's and more trusses that are each built lighter. Going to 12' posts....you simply make the boards bigger/stronger for the span and the trusses are stronger to require fewer of them. Doesnt in any way make the building weaker or inferior. Its not like 12' span is pushing the envelope of anything either......I have seen some large buildings go 16' OC. And due to common lumber stopping at 16' its rare to see much over that without going to steel.